༄ོ⠀|⠀Day 08

• • •⠀ཀཫ⠀• • •

⠀⠀⠀Sun shining brightly through his bedroom window, Yuichiro blinked himself awake, eyes squinting towards the blinding rays. A yawn escaped his laps as he slipped past the sheets and blankets hovering his frame, limbs slightly shaky as he stretched his stiffened wings. Ever since he had began to learn how to soar the skies again, his black feathers have began to grow back, leaving him and Mikaela overjoyed. Flying again has left a mark on him that would soon open a new door in his life. He can see he has become a happier person— or should he say, winged-creature— after everything Mikaela has done for him.

⠀⠀⠀Silently slipping out of his room, he flashed the clock a quick glance before making his way out of the front door. Within the moment he had stepped out into the world, a light breeze nipped at his cheeks and casually blew at his wings. A shiver coursed through his spine at the wondrous sensation, eyes closing for a few seconds as he tasted the air. It was such a beautiful morning, if Yuichiro could say so himself. He loved the way the different shades of reds, oranges, yellows, and purples would merge into the skies and cast above him, and the home he lived in with Mikaela made it even more fantastic.

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro stood frozen as he stared amongst the collecting clouds, mindful of the humans strolling past the property. Sadly, he did not miss the looks of lust and murmurs coming from them.

⠀⠀⠀"Look, it's one of those slave-things," A man whispered to his lover, finger pointing towards the raven's direction.

⠀⠀⠀The woman nodded. "They're a million to two million yen each. I wonder which selfish man had that much money and ended up spending it on that thing. Poor thing looks frightened."

⠀⠀⠀Fingers curling into fists, the dark-haired male tried to block the thoughts, though he was not in the least surprised by their comments. Jealousy dripped off the edge of each word like venom, and it had become so clear in their voices that Yuichiro didn't have to make an effort to know it. But humans were like this, self-indulged and brash creatures. They rambled on about their desires and complained, then, being the dictators they are, take what they want. Take, and take, and take until there is nothing left— take the unique, trash the useless. Yuichiro knows the feeling all too well.

⠀⠀⠀By the time he realizes his teeth are digging ruthlessly into his lower lip, blood is already trickling out of the wound, tongue tasting the tangy flavor of plasma. Yuichiro sighs and turns away from the couple still glaring at him, bending down to quickly take the newspaper from off of the cement before stomping back into the house whilst making sure to shut the door as loud as he could manage. Paper glides across his skin as he begins to read the articles inked-black against the rusted-grey, iridescent gaze shining from both interest and curiosity. He ignores the story about a certain fireman saving a cat along with the humorless comics, seeing as he doesn't know half of what anything is, and goes on with the ones that have the words,

⠀⠀⠀"Now hiring," Yuichiro reads aloud.

⠀⠀⠀Scanning through the newspaper, Yuichiro read over the many, what it seemed to be, jobs. He has heard of humans getting jobs— the men in the chambers had the duties of feeding them and waking them up and prepping them for display times, not to mention that Mikaela had a job as a high school music teacher— but never has he gotten a job himself. In fact, he hasn't ever heard of a winged-creature working. It was interesting, oddly enough. He wondered what getting a job would be like, how it would affect him, how it would affect the humans around him.

⠀⠀⠀Soon enough, he was making a list of those who have caught his eyes, a red marker in hand as he began to carelessly circle the occupations and stain the newspaper almost wholey in a crimson. He chose the ones that didn't seem too much of a hassle and ended at a time in which he and Mikaela would be home, yet still managed to earn him a decent currency. "Cafe, restaurant, cashier, assistant..." Yuichiro murmured to himself as he named them out aloud, not all aware of the footsteps echoing behind him.