It's a Barnyard

(Before you lovely readers begin to read, my character Miya cannot see Onikiri and Kotetsu. This should be common sense since Miya is a regular human, and not a yokai, familiar, or God. Later on, of which I do not write about, Nanami does explain about them in the future. Anyways, have fun reading!)

Kurama was sitting next to a man with snow white hair and green eyes. The white haired man glanced my way, smiled, and then turned back to Kurama and hands him- what I thought to be- sake.

"So what is with the social gathering?" I asked, turning towards Nanami.

"You found out Kurama was a tengu yokai correct?"

I looked over at Kurama. He was the one who told me to not tell anybody, and here he was, snitching away to Nanami.

"Yeah, well, how do you know about all this?"

Nanami looked over at Tomoe.

"Well- you see- Tomoe isn't a human either."

I eyed Tomoe, who stood fanning himself.

"Seriously, what the hell is going on?" I asked.

"I'm a Land God. Tomoe is my familiar and so is Mizuki over there. He is a white snake, by the way."

I glanced at Mizuki, who gave me a closed eyed smile and waved like a child.

"So is Tomoe like a fox?"

Nanami nodded.

"Yes, he is. Look I know this is a lot to handle, I mean when I first found out that yokai were real, I thought I had gone crazy."

I looked at them all as if they were crazy already.

"I can't believe you all are not human."

"Actually, I'm still human, but I have the powers of the Land God." Nanami corrected.

I sighed, sitting down straight from where I stood. I rested my chin in my hand, elbow on my knee, as I sat criss-cross.

"So are you guys going to like kill me or something?"

Nanami looked at me in shock.

"What? We would never do that! But it would be much preferred that you take residence here at the shrine. Now that you know about our secret, you are in the danger of being killed or hunted by other, more evil, yokai." she said.

"As much as I hate to say it, you would be much safer here then at your home. You wreak of Kurama, and since that stupid tengu has gotten close to you, yokai will figure that you'll make a good meal." said Tomoe.

Tomoe glared at Kurama.

"Shut it you stupid fox!" shouted Kurama.

Tomoe and Kurama instantly began to bicker back and forth while Mizuki tried to ease the tension.

I looked to the floor, feeling like absolute crap.

"I know it'll take a while to process all this, but in no-time you'll be living as if this were all the norm." said Nanami as she tried to reassure me. I wondered if that was supposed to be good or bad. "Tomoe, knock it off." Nanami commanded, turning to stop the childish men.

Tomoe spun around, furious that she was siding with the tengu. Kurama smirked triumphantly, making a few side comments about how Tomoe followed her orders like a little puppy.

"Kurama, stop being an ass." I warned. 

Kurama looked at me in disbelief. Tomoe was the one smirking now.

"You damn fox! I'll kill you!" Kurama shouted.

"Bring it!" Tomoe challenged.

Tomoe's fox ears and tail appeared while little will-o-wisps swarmed around him. Kurama elegantly allowed his large wings to appear.

"This is not the time and place for such nonsense!" shouted Nanami.

Nanami tried to reason with the two yokai, but their annoyance for each other was not going to stop them anytime soon.

"Remember what happened the last time we battled?" asked Tomoe as he smirked evilly. Kurama's smirk turned into utter fear. He tried to turn around and fly away, but Tomoe had touched Kurama with a leaf, making him go up into smoke. As the smoke cleared, a little black rooster was flipped upside down on the floor. It made a few clucking sounds before flipping itself over. "I'll make stew out of you!" said Tomoe as he evilly hovered over Kurama.

The now-rooster Kurama looked up at Tomoe, tears in his eyes that were wide with fear and panic. He quickly flew down the hallway, trying to flee from Tomoe. I quickly got up and chased after the two.

"Tomoe, leave him alone!" I shouted angrily, following them like a buffoon.

"Not until that feathered turkey learns his lesson!" Tomoe shouted.

Kurama ran into a spare empty room. He was trapped, with no way out. Tomoe creeped up to him, grinning in triumph. His hand held a fire ball.

"Next time you'll think twice before mocking me!"

"Stop!" I shouted, diving into the room, onto the ground and hovering over Kurama.

My whole body shielded him from Tomoe. Tomoe stood there in disappointment, for he was hoping to make a fancy pen out of Kurama's tail feathers and a nice chicken meal.

"That is enough, Tomoe!" Nanami panted as she appeared into the room.

I looked down at Kurama, who clung tight to me. There were tears in his tiny eyes.

"There-there, Kurama. The big bad fox won't hurt you, I'll make sure of that." Kurama looked up to me with beady eyes, almost as if to thank me. "Change him back Tomoe." I demanded.

Tomoe looked away stubbornly.

"The spell won't go away until sunrise tomorrow."

"WHAT!" we all screamed, except for Kurama, who clucked.

"Sorry, but that's how it works, I can't do anything about it."

I had a feeling Tomoe was lying, but I did not want to get into another argument. I looked down at Kurama and stroked his back.

"Don't worry, Kurama. I'll protect you until then."

 Kurama let out a long bird noise, hanging his head in shame. I carefully picked him up and cradled him in my arms. We all headed back to the main room, where Mizuki sat in the center drinking sake.

"Ah, so the charming tengu Kurama is now a barnyard animal?" Mizuki said and chuckled.

Kurama glared at Mizuki before fluttering out of my arms to attack Mizuki. Mizuki ran around with Kurama clawing and pecking at his head. I shook my head. 

"This day just keeps getting weirder." I turned to Nanami. "Can you show me to my room? I have a terrible headache."

Nanami nodded and answered, "Of course!"

I quickly turned to Kurama, who was still attacking Mizuki. I walked up to him, grabbed his legs, and hold him upside down. Instantly, his body went limp, wings pausing from their previous flapping state.

"Where did you learn that?!" Nanami asked, shocked that I practically paralyzed Kurama.

"Well back when I went to America, with my friend Lucy, we went to her grandparents farm, and she showed me this trick farmers use to catch chickens." I slowly flipped Kurama over, positioning him so he laid comfortably in my arms. He shook his head before looking up at me in annoyance. I patted his tiny head. "Behave yourself." I asked as I smiled softly at him. 

Nanami led me to my room. I quickly plopped onto the futon, still cradling Kurama. 

"Today was so weird." I said to myself. Kurama just looked up at me. I let out a yawn and then laid myself down. I kept Kurama close to me. "Stay by my side while I sleep, Kurama. Tomoe won't hurt you if you're with me."

Kurama seemed to understand, as he rested his head on my arm. I fell asleep, not even waking up for dinner.