Chapter 16

The Enchanted Forest

They all were looking at the beanstalk

"It's a little freakier than I remember from the story," Emma told them.

"Not all stories are true," Rosalina told her.

"Reminds me of death," Mulan told them.

"Encouraging." Snow remarked.

"Well, your compass awaits. Shall we?" Hook asked.

They were now walking.

"Wait. If these beans...create...portals, why not just pick one and go home? Why the compass?" Emma asked.

"Because there aren't any more beans. Whatever story you think you know, my dear is most certainly wrong." Hook told her.

"There was a guy named Jack and a cow and something about an evil giant with a treasure and a golden goose. Or harp." Emma told him.

"Awww." Rosy cooed.

"Sounds like a lovely tale, but the truth's a little bit more gruesome. The giants grew the beans, but rather than use them for good, they used them to plunder all the lands. Jack was a man who fought a terrible war, defeating all but one of the evil giants. The beans were destroyed by the giants as they died. If they couldn't have their magic, then nobody could. It's really very bad form." Hook told her.

"Evil giants, who made magic portal beans? Why doesn't anyone just go up and grow some more?" Emma asked.

"Because one giant survived...the strongest and most terrible of them all. And we'll have to get past him to-" Hook got cut off.

"The magic compass." Snow finished his sentence.

"Indeed. The treasure remains, and amongst it is the compass. Now it will guide us to your land. Cora has the means to open a portal with the wardrobe ashes, but she can't find your land without the compass. Once we get it, steal the ashes from her, and we're on our way." Hook told them.

"How do we know you're not just using us to get the compass for Cora?" Mulan asked.

"Because you five are a far safer company. All I need is a ride back. I'll swear allegiance to whoever gets me there first." Hook told her.

"You're always working on an angle." Rosalina glared at him.

Hook winked at her.

"Then we'd better start climbing," Emma told him.

"Right. So...I failed to mention that the giant enchanted the beanstalk to repel intruders." Hook told them.