It's A Small World, Isn't It?

A/N: Many thanks go to Jordiscy for loaning me Renji and Loki for this story. I can't promise they will behave themselves, though. ;)   If you haven't read her story Paper Crane, you really need to.

Thank you also, Academy fans, for reading my stories. I really appreciate it!

++++

Victor's POV

I leaned my head back against my office chair and sighed. I was no closer to figuring out what was going on with my statements than when I first picked them up an hour earlier. I just wanted to close my eyes and make them go away, but I knew I couldn't. Something fishy was going on with my royalty statement, I just couldn't figure out what. My gut told me that George was up to something; I just couldn't put my finger on it. I'd have to bring this up at tonight's family meeting. Mr. Blackbourne always liked figuring out problems, he'd know where we could get help with this situation. Standing up, I tucked copies of the statements in their folder and tucked them in the side pocket of my leather satchel. I looked at my watch. Just enough time to get downtown to the office where we were having tonight's meeting.

+++++

I drew up to the building just as North and Silas climbed out of North's Jeep. They must have come straight from the Anderson's construction project. It would be interesting to hear how it was going. I pulled into the spot next to them and switched the engine off.

"Hey North, Silas, how's it going?" I asked as I climbed out of the car.

"Vic, good to see you, man," North replied.

"Hey Victor. It's going well. How about with you?" Silas responded.

We talked as we walked towards the entrance of the brick loft building. It was the same one we met at last week because of Doc's schedule. Just as we were about to head in, more of the guys pulled up. First was Luke, driving in his truck along with Nathan and Gabe, followed by Kota. Right on cue, a dark grey BMW pulled into the lot with Mr. Blackbourne and Doc Green inside. North, Silas and I waited at the large glass door for the rest of our family. I watched as they got out of their cars and greeted each other. I smiled. It could be days or hours in between seeing each other, but we were always happy when we were back together.

As a group, we headed into the building and walked up the stairs. We were walking into the conference room where we met the last time when I heard classical music coming from somewhere on the floor. I stopped, trying to figure out where the music was coming from. I didn't see any of the nearby office lights on, but someone was still around. Mr. Blackbourne stopped beside me, tilting his head, a curious expression on his face. I looked at him.

"Someone here has good taste in music."

"Indeed they do," he agreed. "Beethoven's 6th is an excellent symphony."

I followed him into the conference room and closed the door behind me. I said hello to the rest of my brothers before sitting down for the family meeting.

+++++

"So, that concludes what assignments we have scheduled for this week," Mr. Blackbourne stated. "Does anyone have anything to bring up?" He looked around the room.

I cleared my throat. "I do," I replied as I pulled out the folder containing my statements.

"Something is off with my royalty statements; I just haven't been able to figure out what it is. I have no proof, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my father is up to his old tricks."

I tossed the file back on the table in front of me in frustration.

"I'm better at composing and producing the music, not figuring out if everything is or isn't being paid correctly. My gut tells me that George is messing around, somehow."

Mr. Blackbourne crossed his arms and tapped a finger against his glasses.

"Hmm. Let me think how we can approach this," he murmured. "We've worked with Loki and Renji before. Let's call them and see if they know someone who is familiar with music royalties."

He looked over at Doc Green. "Sean, do you have your cousin's telephone number off hand?"

+++++

"Moshi Moshi" the voice coming from the speakerphone called.

"Renji?" Sean asked. "It's Sean. I'm here with my team. You're on speakerphone."

"Sean! Good to hear from you. What's going on?"

Mr. Blackbourne spoke up. "Renji, Owen Blackbourne."

"Owen, what can I do for you?" Renji asked.

"We have a situation concerning Victor Morgan that I am hoping you may be able to help us with. Do you know someone who can conduct an audit of Victor's earnings statements?"

"Yes, a friend has helped us with review of our earnings from mine and Loki's band," he responded. "We can find out if they can help you."

"That would be excellent. Where is this person located?"

"In Charleston, same as you. We know for many years. Is Academy. Office is downtown."

"Really? We are at the downtown loft building now, as it happens. Are they nearby?"

"Let me find out," he said. "Loki," he called out. "Get Sorenson-chan on phone. Earnings magic is needed by Blackbourne team."

We heard Loki in the background calling someone on speaker. He was speaking rapidly in Japanese. I knew some Japanese, but I wasn't fluent enough to understand what he was saying to their friend. That's funny, I thought to myself, that sounds like classical music coming through the speaker. The same music I heard earlier.

"Loki!"

Renji's voice startled me.

"Tell Sorenson-chan to turn off that crap. Need to listen to good music. Good J-pop music like ours!"

I heard Loki laugh in the background. "Sorenson says her music not is crap!" The music abruptly stopped. What's going on? Did Loki just say 'her'? Is this person in the same office as us?

Renji spoke up again. "You in conference room, yes?"

Mr. Blackbourne confirmed that we were in a conference room on the third floor.

"Ok, Sorenson can come by now. I stay on phone to introduce you."

Just then, a light knock sounded on the conference room door.

Doc Green stood up and walked over to open it.

"Pookie?!?"