Movie Night, Part 1

Victor's POV

The two of us were standing in the front parlor that I used as a music room, and I watched as Sang slowly wandered from the piano in the corner of the room to the far wall to look at the paintings, taking everything in. It was interesting to see my house viewed through new eyes. I'd lived on the peninsula my entire life, so I was used to how grand some of the old Charleston houses could be. I thought of my parent's house with a grimace. If it wasn't for the fond memories that I had of spending time with my Grandparents in this house when I was little, I would never have moved in after I inherited the house when I turned 18. I would have moved as far away from my parents as possible, while still staying in Charleston.

"Sang, I really am happy that you're here tonight," I told her, coming up beside her as she peered out the window that overlooked the piazza.

"Thank you for inviting me," she answered softly. "You have a lovely house."

"It's a special place, thank you. It was my Grandparent's house. One of the few places I've always just been able to be myself."

She turned and looked at me quizzically. "You couldn't be yourself at home before?"

I shook my head. "My parents were all about being seen. Being the best and having everyone know it. Absolutely everything had to be perfect, always on display. Until I was able to get out from under their control when I turned 18, that included me."

"I'm sorry, that's no way to live," she said, gazing up at me and gently placing her hand on my arm. Her soft green eyes, framed by dark lashes, were glowing in the subdued lighting of the room.

She was so sweet, worried about how I'd had to live growing up, when I had a feeling that she'd had a much worse time growing up than me. "What's done is done, and I can't change my past. Besides, if I did, I wouldn't have the family I do now, and these guys mean everything to me." I placed my hand over hers. "Shall we go find out what everyone's up to?" I asked. "It's a bit too quiet, and that has me worried."

"Why would you be worried?" she asked as we headed down the long corridor towards the back of the house.

"Let's just say, unless he's on an assignment, a quiet Luke can be a mischievous Luke. Let me tell you about the time he bypassed my security, snuck into the house and toilet papered my master bathroom. While I was sleeping in the adjoining bedroom."

***

Owen's POV

A peal of laughter rang out, causing me to pause momentarily as Victor and Sang entered the kitchen. I noted her hand on his arm, her beautiful face, with its haunted eyes, was lit up with delight.

"He really did that?"

"He most certainly did. I'm still waiting to get him back for that. He's a difficult one to prank."

Victor looked at me with a grin. "I just told her how Luke pranked me last spring with the toilet paper while I was asleep in the next room. She didn't understand why when I said I was worried that the guys were being a bit too quiet."

"They are being unusually quiet. So much so that I have the feeling that adult supervision may be required," I chuckled wryly. "Or perhaps they don't want to scare Miss Sorenson into thinking they're a bunch of hooligans." I gave her a thoughtful look, the corner of my lips ticked up slightly. "Though you'll likely find out soon enough that that is definitely the case with certain members of this family."

Picking up the tray with cheese, crackers and fruit, I nodded in the direction of the family room. "Ladies first."

***