Part 41 - Biscuits & Babysitters

I had just finished putting my hair up in a clip when my phone rang. I glanced at the display and saw Sean's name. He must be this morning's babysitter.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Ohayo Utsukushi (Good morning, Beautiful)!" Sean says.

I smiled. He was a flirt even on the phone. "Ohayo (Good morning), Sean," I say. "It sounds like you're driving. Should you be using the phone?"

"I am indeed driving, however, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, aka hands free phones and voice dialing, my hands are firmly on the wheel and my eyes are on the road."

"Good to know you're being a responsible adult," I tell him.

"I can't guarantee I'm a responsible adult," he says, "but I am being safe."

I laughed at that. No doubt Owen would agree with Sean's level of being a responsible adult.

"So, what do you say about going to breakfast?" he asked.

"I take it you've been assigned to be my minder this morning?"

"I volunteered as tribute," he said. "At least to get you to work. Unless you'd like to play hooky and hang out at the hospital with me. We can do doctor things, maybe take a look at the new crop of babies."

"A crop of babies?" I asked. "You make it sound like they get delivered on a produce truck."

He chuckled. "Nah, you just never know when they're going to show up, and we've got a whole bunch of new ones."

"Well as much as hanging out with you and looking at babies sounds fun, I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I have a heap of files calling my name today."

"Oh well. Maybe next time. But is that a yes for breakfast?" he asks.

"That's a definite yes for breakfast," I tell him.

"Great. I'm not far out, just crossing on 17 now. I should be there in ten. Does that work for you?"

"Yup," I said, popping the P. "Do you remember the address?"

"I most certainly do," he answers.

"Be careful driving. There are crazy drivers out there."

"Don't I know it. I'll see you in a few."

~ ~

Sean was just pulling up to my driveway when I locked my front door. By the time I reached the curb, he was waiting at the passenger side with the door open.

"Good morning in person," Sean said with a smile. "Your carriage awaits."

"Thank you, and good morning in person to you as well," I replied as I settled into the car.

"So, my fair maiden," he said as he buckled back in. "Where would you like to go for breakfast?"

"There isn't too much around here," I told him. "60 Bull Cafe is just a few blocks over. They're usually pretty good, but I don't really want anything too heavy this morning."

"Hmmm. Not too heavy. Do biscuits count as too heavy?" he asked, glancing over at me before pulling out into the flow of traffic.

"Biscuits sound perfect, actually," I replied. "I know that Callie's would be way too busy. Plus, they don't have any place to sit down and eat. Have you tried the place that recently opened near there? Bishopp's Chicken Biscuits?"

"I haven't been there before, but a couple of nurses were talking about it the other day. They said the biscuits were really good and everyone was really friendly. I think a chicken biscuit would hit the spot."