Dinner, Family Style

We were just finishing our soup and appetizers when the servers arrived with our entrees. My eyes widened as I watched them place dish after dish on the low table. I knew there were ten of us having dinner together, and that we ordered a lot of food, but seeing it all spread out on the table was crazy. How were we going to eat all of this food? I hoped they have to-go boxes.

North, who was seated to my left leaned in. "What would you like to try first, Sang?"

I turned and looked at him. "I'm not sure, there's so much to choose from, it's kind of intimidating. I've only had chicken basil and Pad Thai before."

North laughed. "Pad Thai pretty much the only thing that Doc orders. It's become a running joke to see if we can get him to order something else."

"Oh, that's what that was about. I'd wondered."

"If you like spicy food, the green curry and Panang prawns will be the hottest," North said as he pointed to two of the dishes. I looked at the dishes he motioned to. "Hmm. The green curry looks good. Those prawns look really spicy. I think I'm too chicken to try them," I laughed.

"Don't be chicken. The green curry is probably hotter than the Panang prawns," he told me. "Hey Gabe, could you pass the green curry when you're done." North had a portion of fish on the large spoon, and was holding it out towards my plate. "Sang, did you want some of the steamed lemon fish?"

"Yes, please," I nodded, holding up my plate. "Everything looks so good, it's hard to decide what to try."

"Just try a little bit of everything, that way you know what to order next time you're here."

I reached for the dish of noodles and vegetables that was in front of me and spooned some onto my plate before passing the dish to North. "I'll start with something safe, like noodles."

"Noodles are good. You need to make sure you get enough vegetables, though."

I raised an eyebrow and looked at him questioningly. "Oh really. And why is that?"

"Because," he replied, looking at me intently, "vegetables are good for you." He gave me a smirk and spooned another piece of the Chinese broccoli onto my plate.

+++++

"I don't think I've ever been so full in my life," I groaned as we left the restaurant.

"That was an excellent meal. I am very pleased that you were able to join us, Sang."

"Thank you for the invitation, Owen. I had a very good time," I told him as we walked side by side. "This was a very enjoyable change of pace from my normal Friday."

"Really? What does a normal Friday entail?"

"This is going to sound lame, but lately it involves browsing Pinterest for decorating ideas. I moved into my apartment not too long ago, and the plain walls have started to drive me crazy. I've outgrown the pink walls I had as a teenager, but I don't know what to do with the place."

"Don't let Mr. Coleman hear you," he chuckled. "He would steamroller you into letting him redecorate your apartment as well as your entire office building."

"Steamroller? He isn't that bad, is he?" I asked. "To be honest, I could use some suggestions."

"Gabriel Coleman is a force of nature," he said, leaning in towards me. "Don't tell him I told you this, I don't want his ego to rupture, but he does have excellent taste, and would never steer you wrong if you did ask for his assistance with your apartment."

We were halfway back to the office where they had left their parked cars when North turned to me. "I thought Victor said you drive a Mini. Where is it? I didn't see one in the parking lot at the office."

"Yes, I do drive a Mini. I'm lucky enough to live nearby, so I walk to work."

"Well shit, Sang baby, we can't let you walk home alone." he exclaimed. "Guys, we have one more stop to make. We need to walk Sang home. She didn't drive to the office."

"North, I am perfectly capable of walking myself home. I do it every night," I scolded him.

"Princess, we would have to turn in our Southern Gentlemen cards if we let you walk home alone. Please, consider us your escorts. Shall we?"

I turned to look at Victor, who offered his arm to me. "Well we can't have that can we," I laughed as I tucked my hand into the crook of his arm. "I would get run out of Charleston by the little old ladies if I caused all of you to lose your Southern Gentlemen status."

The few blocks to my street went quickly. My sides were aching from laughing so much at the corny jokes Silas was telling us. I didn't know that one person could know so many silly jokes, let alone a person who looked as intimidating as Silas did.

"Well, this is my stop," I said as we approached the front of my building. I released Victor's arm, somewhat reluctantly. "Thank you all so much for escorting me home."

"Are you, by any chance, free tomorrow evening?" Victor asked. "We were planning on a movie night at my house tomorrow. It isn't too far from here," he continued, "We would really like it if you could join us."

"Movie night?"

"Yeah," Nathan spoke up. "We all take turns having movie night. It's kind of a tradition with us. It's Victor's turn to host this week."

Could I do this? Could I step this far out of my comfort zone and spend more time with them? I'd had an unexpectedly good time at dinner. If I was honest with myself, I was really surprised at how easy it was to talk with them. I looked around at their handsome and hopeful faces. "Um, yes, I guess so." I heard myself saying. "Can I bring anything?"

"Just your charming self," Victor responded with a smile.

Just then, Gabriel started laughing, causing us to turn and look at him. "I know the perfect movie to start with," he said with a mischievous smile on his face.

"What would that be, Mr. Coleman?" Owen asked.

"The Italian Job."

++++