Ante: Isla

\Ante\ [before/former]

19 YEARS BEFORE
****
I was only two when I met Charlie Rhodes in a sandbox. It was the first day of Preschool, and I wouldn't let go of my mother's leg. My mother and another lady who supposedly worked at the daycare, were attempting to pry me off of her limb, but I was persistent in holding on for dear life. In my peripheral vision, I saw a little boy playing with red trucks in a big blue box filled to the brim with sand. I was staring at him for a few minutes before a pair of big brown eyes looked right back up at me. He got up and ran over to where I was standing. His light up sneakers continuously flashing. He didn't say anything, just handed me a blue truck, and I slowly let go of my mother, her large blue eyes urging me to go on and play. I followed him into the sandbox, and we began to play with the trucks.

"My name is Charlie, what's yours?" He said abruptly.

"Isla." I replied. "My name is Isla."

"Wanna be friends?" He asked.

"Yah, I'll be your friend." I answered.

After that, the lady handed out carrot sticks to each of the 11 children. The only sounds that could be heard were of carrots crunching in 2 year olds mouths, and the crashing of plastic toys colliding. The silence was the official sign that...

Isla and Charlie would be friends forever.