Iuris: Isla

\Iuris\ [The Principles of Law]

My favourite professor at Harvard, Mr. Henry E. Smith, was teaching in the lecture hall when my phone went off. The room went dead silent, and all heads turned towards my beet red one. I quickly shut my phone off, and stared ahead at Mr. Smith, who was now staring right back at me.

"Miss Beaumont, is there a pressing matter you must attend to, other than this?" He inquired.

"No sir." I replied.

"Good. I wouldn't want my top fourth year student to lose focus unless it were urgent." He smirked.

I nodded my head, and he began teaching once more. I reached down for my phone to quickly check who's call I'd missed. The screen read '1 missed call from: Del'. Del was going to school at Boston University. She transferred after her first year at Northwestern. We shared an apartment together, along with Margot, since we all despised living in dorms, and I forgot to tell them that I scheduled an extra lecture for tonight.

Once the lecture had finished, I packed up my computer, and headed out of the lecture hall. I checked my watch, but forgot it was running late. My phone read 6:55. I hopped into my black Hyundai, and drove in the direction of the apartment. The sound of jazzy music was seeping out of the open door, along with the smell of freshly baked goods. I found Margot in the kitchen, humming, and swaying along to the music.

"Marg, you do know that if you leave to door open, somebody could have just come in and taken anything they'd like?" I said while tasting a bit of the cookie dough that was lying in a bowl on the counter.

"Hello, there's no air conditioning in this apartment, only in the hallway. Besides, I could fight them off with my trusty spatula!" She waved her spatula around like a sword as I burst into laughter.

"You're such a dork!" I said as we were both in fits of laughter.

I left Margot to her delicious baking downstairs, and headed up to mine and Del's shared loft bedroom. She was lying on the bed with her textbooks, computer, and a bowl of popcorn. When I walked into the room, she jumped up, and crossed her legs on her bed, spilling popcorn everywhere.

"Where the hell were you!?" She exclaimed.

"Sorry! I forgot to tell you that I had that extra lecture with Mr. Smith today. Sorry sorry sorry!" I apologized.

"S'okay." She said. "I just wanted to tell you that... A CALL FROM THAT LAW FIRM IN NEW YORK CAME AND THEY WANT YOU!" That sent us both into a fit of screaming and jumping up and down on her bed, popcorn flying everywhere. I heard pots and pans hitting the ground, and Margot ran up the stairs to see what happened.

"Holy shit, what happened, are you hurt?!" She asked with a flustered look on her face. We both laughed and told her that the law firm in New York wants me. We all jumped up and down for about another 10 minutes, before settling down and starting to study for our final exams.

I grabbed my computer and logged into my email. I sent my grandparents and aunt an email, telling them what had happened, and received praise in response. I got back into studying, and it wasn't long before Margot brought up her famous cookies. She handed them to Del. I grabbed some cookies, and then headed back to studying the principles of law for finals.