Somnium: Isla

\Somnium\ [Dreams/Thoughts]

I walked away from him. Possibly the love of my life. He's already my soulmate. I could feel the tears rolling down my face before I could taste the saltiness. I reached the boarding gate, and handed the nice, red-haired lady my boarding pass. I discreetly looked back, only to find him looking away.

"Saying goodbye is the toughest part." The lady startled me out of my trance.

"You have absolutely no idea." I said with a meak smile as I headed through the tunnel, and onto the plane.

I sat down in my first class seat, payed for by my grandparents, and stared out the window until the person sitting next to me arrived. She was a nice looking old lady. The ones you'd always think would make great grandparents. We sat in silence until the plane lifted off, and we were in the sky. All of a sudden, the woman kindly handed me a clean tissue.

"Here you go darlin'." She said with sympathy written all over her face.

"Thank you, Mrs...." I thanked back, as well as asking for her name.

"Ruthie." She said smiling.

"I'm Isla." I informed.

"Now, tell me about the person who made you cry like this." Ruthie said, taking my hand.

"He's my best friend. We've been friends since we were two, and then I decided to go to law school in Boston, and only half an hour ago, he had to go and screw every perfect thing up, by telling me he loves me." I cried to her.

"You don't love him back? Because it sure seems like you do." Ruthie smile slyly, and took my hand again. "Darlin', you're going to be away for quite a few years. Either you tell him how you feel back, or you let him move on. Now sleep on that. You sure look like you need some." She said, handing me a neck rest. I thanked her before falling quickly asleep.

There was a pool in front of me. Two kids, a young boy, and small girl, ran out of a glass sliding door, leading into a grand kitchen. The towels around them drop immediately as they cannonball into the large outdoor pool. A pair of warm, tan arms snake around my waist and a head nuzzles into my neck. I could recognize that scent from anywhere.

It's Charlie.

This is our house, these are our children, upstairs is our bedroom, and that is our front door on the opposite side of the house. This is my wedding ring on my ring finger. This is our marriage. Charlie turns me around to face him, and kisses me passionately on the lips. His hands snake down to my pregnant belly and- wait. Okay so, in this virtual reality, I'm pregnant, obviously again, with Charlie's child. He takes my hand and leads me towards the kitchen. I see a wall covered in frames and children's artwork. I see a picture of our wedding day, the day that our son was born, the day that our daughter was born, everything. It's almost too real. I want this so badly.

All of a sudden, it all disappears into thin air, and all I can see is the inside of a gorgeous apartment building. I look outside the widow and see the New York skyline. Still stunned, I turn and walk towards the kitchen. Marble countertops, white cabinets, mahogany floors. Everything is fit to a T. That's when I finally notice the certificate. It's my law school diploma. I spot a picture of myself in front of a law firm with my name plastered on the wall. I'm a name partner at a swanky law firm in New York!

"Isla?! Isla?!" I hear somebody calling my name.

"Isla?" I snap out of my dream to find Ruthie staring down at me concerned. "I just thought I'd let you know that we're in Boston now Darlin'. I also wanted to see if you knew if you're gonna tell him or not?"

"Thank you so much Ruthie! Really, for everything. I think I know what I have to do now. Maybe we can get together sometime in Boston if you're up to it?" I suggested.

"Sure thing." She handed me her number as we both parted ways.

I headed towards the exit of the airport, and found my cousin, Margot, standing at the exit, holding a sign with my name written on it with a Sharpie. We hugged for about five minutes before hopping into her Toyota, and driving to the campus.

"So," Margot started, "how was the flight?"

"Dreamy." I said in response before looking back out the window.

I thought back to Charlie. I knew what I had to do. I couldn't tell him. Not now. He needs to move on. I need to move on. From now on, my one true love, will be law.