Inter: Isla

\Inter\ [between/in the middle].

5 YEARS BEFORE
***
There was a knock on my bedroom door. I wasn't quite ready for visitors yet. My face was swollen, red, and covered in tears, along with my pillow. My black dress was strewn across the floor, and I was now dressed in a pair of my fathers old sweatpants and sweatshirt. It was the middle of December, and my small body was freezing. The knocking continued on the other side of the door.

"Nobody's home!" I sobbed at the visitor.

Nobody answered. Suddenly a sheet of paper was slid under the white door.

I'm so sorry Isla.

Was all it read. I knew it was from Charlie, so I wrote a reply and sent it under the door.

I'm okay, Charlie, don't worry.

Was my reply back. My legs were crossed legged now, and my back was resting on the cool face of the door.

No, you're not, and I am worrying.

He responded.

You're right.

I wrote.

Let me in. Please Isla, Please.

I unlocked the bedroom door, and he just stood there. Impeccable in his suit from the funeral. He wrapped me in his warm and comforting arms as I just sobbed. He soothed me and carried me into my bed as soon as my knees gave out from the sobbing.

"I'm so sorry about your dad, Isla. He was a great man." He consoled.

"I know." I choked out.

He pulled the covers up over my body and told me to get some rest. He placed a fresh pillow and took away my tear-soaked one. I turned my body to face the wall. He began to slowly and quietly walk out of my room, but now that he was here, I didn't want him to leave.

"Charlie, please don't leave me, please stay next to me." I said in tears.

He walked straight towards me, took off his blazer, shoes, tie and rolled up his cuffs. He slipped into the bed next to me. His warm arms engulfing me in a loving arm. I turned to face him and hugged him tight.

"Thank you, Charlie. Thank you so much." I said.

He placed a gentle kiss to my forehead, and told me goodnight, just as my eyes fell shut. We stayed like that for the entire night. His arm around me, and me right next to him. I couldn't have asked for a better shoulder to cry on.