Delicata: Charlie

\Delicata\ [Delicate]

7 YEARS BEFORE
*****
Isla always had a knack for instructions. Her homework was always correct to a T, her experiments, her classes, her artwork, and much more. But the only thing she never used instructions for was baking. She would always make the best butter tarts.

I walked over to her, and leaned on the kitchen counter while she was mixing homemade batter for her famous chocolate cinnamon cookies. I stuck my finger into the mixing bowl, and took out a whole chunk of dough. She slapped my hand away and gave me the evil eye.

"You will most likely need to be tested for Salmonella, so get away from me, I don't want your germs in my food!" She screeched.

"Hey Isla-bear, do you think you'll be a baker someday?" I asked her.

"I hope so, I love doing it, it's like I'm addicted to baking the stuff, but not eating it!" We both laughed.

She balled up her cookie dough, and layered them in rows of four before putting them into the oven. She set the timer to 20 minutes, and she sat down next to me on the couch in her living room.

"Isla, can I ask you a question?" I asked.

"You just did you idiot." She laughed.

"No seriously." I stared at her with intent of asking her the question.

"Charlie, you're scaring me..." She said with a nervous expression.

"Don't be scared, questions can't hurt you." I reassured her. "I just wanted to know if you understood why everybody thinks we should be together?"

She stared at me before finally answering. "I think it's because friendship between a boy and girl is like a pastry, it's thin and delicate, and can break easily. So when the pastry breaks, the line between friendship and love is broken as well, I guess." She says seriously, then bursts into laughter.

"What?" I said baffled.

"Let's just pray that our pastry doesn't break. I like you too much for that to happen." She said laying her head down on my chest, and quickly falling asleep to the smell of burning cookies.