Adultum: Isla

\Adultum\ [grown up]

When I was younger, people always asked me 'what do you want to be when you grow up.' Sometimes my answer would be teacher, or Doctor, or even veterinarian. Never did I expect to be a lawyer. One class I was forced to take due to late entry, and here I am. ALL GROWN UP. Partner at one of the most prestigious law firms in New York, living in a condo looking over Central Park in Manhattan, and owner to the cutest dog in the world. Otis. I woke up at 5:00am per usual this morning, and went on a run. I got back home at 6:00, took a shower, did my makeup and straightened my hair, and slipped on a canary yellow dress with black four inch stilettos with s matching black blazer. I crabbed my coffee, bagel and leather tote off the breakfast bar in the kitchen and headed off to work at 7:45. My associates attacked me as soon as I walked into the firm.

"Ma'am, your client, a Mr. Johannssen requested to meet you in your office today at noon." He announced.

"That won't do, switch it to 3:00pm." I said as I speed walked towards my corner office.

"He said he can only do noon." He replied.

I stopped and turned to look at him, and said, "Mr. Gordon, this is the most prestigious law firm in the city, and I happen to be a very busy woman. 3:00pm, or no meeting at all."

"Yes ma'am." He said as he scurried off to his cubicle.

I sighed heavily as I walked into my office, threw everything onto the grey couch, and plopped down into my black leather chair.

"Isla Beaumont." The voice of my co-partner startled me out of my tranquility.

"Ughhhh! When will this day end!" I threw my head back and he lightly chuckled while checking his watch.

"I'm afraid it's still only 8:35 Isla." He said with a smirk on his face.

"Fine. What can I do for you Edward Driscoll?" I said, folding my hands together on my desk.

"A dear friend of mine, Martha Levinsky, is being sued by a corporate company for copying their product. Would you take her case for me? I'm not going to be here this month. I'm leaving on vacation with the family." He asked in his deep British accent.

"Yes, sure." I said, exasperated.

"Great, I'll be sure to contact her before I leave." He began to walk out of my office before thanking me again while he walked out of the door.

"Oh GOD!" I silently yelled, throwing my hands on my face in the process.

After a long day of meetings with clients and extremely annoying associates, I headed home to leftovers and a movie, while I did my case work. I put my house key into the lock, and opened the door. My housekeeper, Miriam, was grabbing her jacket and bag, ready to leave as I walked into the entrance.

"Oh, hello Ms. Beaumont." She said looking up and realizing I was coming through the door.

"Hello Miriam. I trust you got the check I left on the table for you this morning?" I asked with a thankful and tired smile resting on my face.

"Oh yes! Thank you very much! Good night Ms. Beaumont, I'll be here next Thursday to clean again!" She said while leaving. "Oh, Ms. I forgot to give you this!"

She handed me a white, clean envelop with my name written carefully on the front. I heard the door slam, and I dropped all my bags down on the newly cleaned floor. I headed towards the kitchen, all the while staring at the envelop. I reached the fridge and grabbed out a fruit bar from the first shelf, and began to delicately open the letter.

"You are invited to the annual reunion of Greenville High's graduating class of 2007!" It read.

I pulled out my phone, and dialled my associate, Greg Gordon's, number. "Mr. Gordon, please fax all my case files for the next month over to Rachel Irving. I'll be away fora few weeks." And with that, I hung up my phone, and ran straight to my car in the garage, and headed out to do some shopping.