Prologue

BPOV

"I wish I could tell someone how I feel. How much I really do love him." Ben sniffed into his hand, and buried his face into both his hands.

Rey tightened her grip around him. Ben felt the warmth of her body. She said, "That's what I'm here for, Benny."

"I know, I know, but you won't be able to understand, Rey." Ben shook his head, looking up at her. Ben sobbed, choking. "I miss him..."

Ben ran a hand through his hair, and wiped the tear off his cheek with the other. Rey took his left hand in her right and squeezed it. Ben sighed, wiping his eyes. No one would ever be able to understand. Ever.

Ben had no idea what Hux was doing or even if he was being loyal to him. He didn't know anything, and he hadn't even been gone long yet. It broke his heart.

Ben knew Rey was trying to help him, but she couldn't. She wouldn't be able to. So they sat in silence for a minute or 2, hand in hand, soaking in each other's company. He knew she was trying her best. But no one could help heartache. Not even her.

*******
HPOV

Hux checked his watch. It was 10:37 pm. He walked over to the porch and opened the door.

Mitaka looked up from his book. "It's late, Brendol. Or Hux, whichever one you prefer. You still haven't told me yet.

"But anyway, isn't it too late to go outside?"

Hux looked back at Mitaka, smirking. "Isn't it too late to be reading?"

"No." Mitaka folded his arms. "Jane Eyre is appropriate to read any time of the day. But yeah, you're right, I'm sort of tired. Should I go back to my dorm?"

Hux shook his head. "No, stay here. I need the company." Then he slipped outside. He herd Mitaka say, "Well, okay then. I'll take the fold-out couch."

Hux laughed. Like there was another place to sleep. Hux stretched, sitting down in the chair. He looked up at the sky. It was a full moon, the stars were out and it was pitch black outside. These types of nights were Hux's favourite. All he needed now was a cup of earl grey.

He sighed, looking at the chair to his left. He thought of what he would give to have Ben there next to him. To have him in his arms right then and there. It had been nearly 2 full months since they'd heard each other's real voices, and not the ones over the phone. And both of them were too busy to talk to each other. As their lives got more crowded and the workload increased, their inner A-student egos popped up and caused them to work so hard that by the time they were done, it would be too late or early to talk to one another. It was an 8-hour time difference between America and the U.K.

Hux wondered if Ben felt the same way. Maybe he was overreacting, but Hux knew that he would probably leave the First Order if he knew that he'd spend the rest of his life with Ben. To run away together and for both of them to forget all the struggles, pressure and worries inflicted upon them by their parents and their goals for them. To be together as one.

But Hux was 21. It was far past time he knew that those things only happen in fairytales. And he did know. But he liked to dream. And that is what caused him the most pain. Love in itself was the antidote, but also the poison.

Hux sniffed, sighing through his nose. "I love you, Ben."