Chapter 16

HPOV

Hux put down his phone, sighing. He would be going to America and yet he wouldn't be able to see Ben. It hurt him, but he didn't want to seem like a child. He was 21 years old. Ben would be there when he got back. And his knew that once they saw each other again, it would be like Hux had never left.

It was rather lonely for Hux to be in his living space passing out candies to strangers and their kids, with no other company besides them and their cat. Eastenders re-runs were flashing on his TV. It was just past 6:00 but yet, Hux was tired. He'd gotten a full night's rest, so he thought it was funny. Hux waved it off as being overworked.

He was pretty bored, and he'd watched every episode of Eastenders ever made, and he no longer wanted to spend the evening passing out candies to little kids. So he threw on his varsity jacket and locked the doors and went outside. He remembered back to two hours earlier, when Mitaka had told him that he was going to the Halloween party.

"It's not really a party," He had said. "I wanted to go so I can open up more. It's more of like a nightclub."

Hux had raised his eyebrows. "A nightclub?" He spat. "You're underage!!"

"It's like, the type of nightclub where you have to show them your ID before you get a drink." Mitaka explained. "Anyone 18 or older can get in."

"Won't you need to show them an ID so they'd know if you're 18 years old or older?"

Mitaka had responded with a shrug. "I have no idea. In case ya change your mind about whether or not you want to go..." Mitaka grabbed Hux's notepad off his nightstand and tore out a page, scribbling on it. He handed it to Hux. "...here's the address."

Now, Hux was walking in the direction of the "young adult nightclub" (as he called it) because it was only 0.7 miles away. But then was he was almost there, he decided to stop himself because he realised he didn't wanna party. It took him only a couple seconds to make up his mind about whether or not he wanted to go, so he sat on a bench outside a clothes shop and thought about what he would do.

He shouldn't be spending time away from his work. That was the first thing that came to his mind. He was thinking about his father, and what he'd told Ellen about him that one time the second time they met on the second day of school.

His father was a great man, loved by everyone in the international science community (besides the Resistance, which didn't really like neuroscience in the first place, and that was the reason that Hux wasn't Leia's biggest fan). He was what people would call famous. World famous, In fact. Hux's mother was obviously less famous, but more famous than Hux. Everyone who met him in the science community and sometimes outside the science community would say after he introduced himself, "Hey, you're Brendol Hux's kid, wow!" or something along those lines.

It had been happening since he was small. "You're Brendol Hux's kid" had been imprinted in his mind at a very small age and he had always strived to be great. With the added pressure from his father (who had always told him he should always strive to be his best), he started studying neuroscience at six years old. Doing online classes and stuff like that, nothing much because after all, he was only a six year old. He had done it willingly but it was all so sudden. His father had said he had to do it because he thought it was the right age for a young boy to be learning science, and his mother had half-heartedly agreed. Six-year-old Hux was already into science from the little things he had learned in school. But at the same time it was all just very sudden for him, he'd gone from a little boy who ate Digestives all day to a kid that was learning about Down Syndrome and was treated like an adult by actual adults. It was all so weird to him, but he had gotten used to it.

One day, as he was doing his online classes, his mother came into his room, say him down on his bed and held his hands.

She said, "Son, I know that this is all just maybe a shock to you but I just wanted to say that you're going to be great. You're going to be the best neuroscientist that this world has ever seen."

Young Hux let go of his mother's hands and pouted, folding his arms. "But that was Daddy." He whined.

His mother put a hand on his back. "Listen," She whispered. "You'll be even greater than Daddy. You will be terrific."

"But I'm not terrific."

"You are my son, and I love you. That's what makes you terrific in my eyes. Now, it's nearly 10:00 and you have school tomorrow. So go to sleep."

"I'll make you proud one day, Mum. Just you wait. I'll be terrific... to everyone!"

Hux's mother smiled warmly, nodding. "I know you will." And she switched off the light.

Young Hux wriggled under the covers and his mother kissed him on the nose. "Did you brush your teeth?"

He closed his eyes. "Yeah, Mum."

She shut off the computer and said goodnight. Young Hux whispered goodnight back and flipped onto his side.

Hux was reliving this moment in his life from 15 years ago when he decided he'd get up and go straight back home to read his neurology book. There was no time to celebrate a holiday he hardly even liked. It was time to make his father proud.

Hours later, he was about to fall asleep on top of his book. He had studied for hours by at the end, the only thing on his mind was Ben. During his studying time, the subject of Ben had popped up in his mind several times, just little tidbits of his memories with him.

Not that he was a distraction, though. Hux believed that he had finalised his studying for the day. But at the same time, all he wanted was to hold Ben in his arms. He wanted Ben's love more than he wanted the praise of the science community.

Little did he know that one day soon, he would get both.