Chapter 3 : Avoiding an expected humiliation

My brother mumbled something under his mouth, apparently cursing against my famous stupidity and sense of dare. It wasn't my fault! I really wanted to test the Fullmetal alchemist's strength and talent, seeing what he could show me! I wasn't this foolish, I knew he would be stronger than me, that I would be beaten in five minutes! I never really fought against someone before that! Except my brother but that didn't count right...? To calm him down, I put a coffee mug in front of him and his newspaper.

-Don't worry, I know what I do!

-You also know that Edward keeps his promises?

-I don't mind! No one knows me anyway, I've got nothing to prove to those people!

-What if you want to become a state alchemist later??

I closed my mouth at this. He knew what could hurt or not hurt me, and this point meant a lot to me. Yesterday evening, I've told him that it would somehow be great to be state alchemist, because of the library and few examples. And he answered it was hard. I first didn't understand the meaning of those words, because learning had never been a problem for me, but what I didn't know was also the reputation. Edward could succeed because he was known by no one, but if I had the reputation of a pretentious girl... That'd be harder.

-But skills are more important no?

-Indeed. But if nobody appreciates you, won't it be hard?

And what I didn't like with Roy was he was often right. Yes, really often. I shrugged and took my own mug to drink my coffee, without any other word. He noticed I was vexed and he smiled gently, putting a hand on my shoulder.

-Don't worry. I was saying all of that to annoy you! I didn't think you'd be offended... If you make a great fight against Edward Elric, they won't say anything!

I simply nodded. Now I was being anxious...

***

At quarter to ten in the morning, I was already in front of the headquarters. There was no one ; all the militaries were already working and I was sure Edward wouldn't come before the time. I sat on the stair steps in front of the building and waited, playing with my hair band. It was said that the Fullmetal alchemist could practice alchemy without any transmutation circle... I would need something as fast... Fortunately, I had my gloves. My teacher offered them to me for my twelfth birthday. It had an air alchemy transmutation circle embroidered on it so I didn't need to draw it. How to draw a circle in the air would you ask me? Well it was impossible. I used to throw papers with the circle to transmute it... Fifteen minutes later, I was still alone. I began to wonder if he didn't fool me when a small silhouette appeared in the middle of the hallway, followed by another one, taller. I stood up, and walked toward them, smiling confidently even if I was rather nervous. Edward Elric stopped in front of me and raised an eyebrow, smirking.

-Didn't think you'd come! You can still give up you know?

-Who do you think I am? I won't give up! I assured.

-Brother I think it's fine now... the armor said.

So the also famous Alphonse Elric was inside! I was even more impressed! Wasn't the armor too heavy? I smiled at him.

-Don't worry! I know I would lose anyway! I chuckled.

The two stayed stunned. Alright, I had to admit saying that before a fight was... Strange, almost disturbing, but it was the truth. I didn't lie a lot and I was surely not stupid. All I wanted was a duel because I found that interesting. Edward nodded.

-Maybe not who knows? But to make it even more interesting, let's make a deal!

-Oh I like that!

I really loved games. Luck games. And even money games but I wasn't allowed to play, or only with fake money, with my brother. Randomness was something even science couldn't explain, what made it... Attractive.

-If I win, I want you to tell me all of your "secrets". And also you won't call me small anymore.

-Alright! If I win, you'll tell me all of your secrets and you'll show respect for my brother during two months!

He swallowed a little and sighed, nodding.

-Fine. So let's begin?

-When you want.

Alphonse stepped away from us as I pulled my gloves out of my coat. I wore them and waited for my opponent to attack first. Just clapping his hands and slamming them in the floor, he created spikes, quickly making their way toward me. I barely dodged them before extending my hand in front of me and gathering hydrogen in small quantity around him to create very small explosions. There was a lot of smoke and I didn't notice the next attack, coming from behind me. With a transmuted spear, he wounded my leg as I tried to avoid it the best I could. I whipped the air with my hand and a sharp blade made of compressed air fled toward him. His left hand got caught in the attack, but only his coat was ripped because he sacrificed his spear to protect himself. During our fight, militaries began to gather around us. Soon enough, I could hear them make bets about the winner. Of course, most of them were on Edward's victory, but I didn't feel jealous or even upset. I knew I would lose. But a familiar voice cut the murmurs...

-I bet twenty cenz on Karen Mustang.

It was my teacher, Laetitia Nightingale. I didn't know she would be around today... A disapprobation movement made its way in the crowd as she shook her head.

-Not for her victory but for her tenacity! If she can hold ten minutes more, I'll win the bet, she smirked.

The militaries didn't understand. This wasn't the kind of bet someone would do! But they were forced to approve and the fight continued. I plunged on the floor to dodge a giant fist and summoned another blade to cut it. He was strong! He really deserved his state alchemist title... All of a sudden, he was on me and kicked me hard in the stomach, sending me meters away from him. I harshly landed on the floor and tried to stand up, holding my painful belly. An acclamation raised in the crowd when I did so and replied by a punch in his face because he was near me. He didn't even budge ten centimeters, but his dizziness gave me the opportunity to stand up plainly and create a small bomb.

-Stop! Ten minutes are over! a military shouted.

I smiled weakly at my fake victory and raised my first toward the sky before collapsing on the ground.

//hey everyone!! Here's the new chapter!! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it!! ^^
(By the way, note that twenty cenz is not a lot at all XDDD)