Chapter 9 : The mines village

I stayed stunned as we got out of the train station, because there was literally nothing. Well, nothing was a little bit too much maybe, but except mines, mines and... mines, there wasn't pretty much of stuffs in Youswell... Edward and Alphonse didn't seem to be excited as well...

-Everyone seems depressed... they noted.

I could only now in agreement and held back a laugh when a little boy bumped into Edward's head with a wooden bar.

-Hey!! Be careful!! he yelled at him.

The boy replied with a laugh before noticing he never saw us here. His eyes started to sparkle with happiness as he took Edward's hands in his.

-You aren't from here right?? You're tourists??

-We-

-DAAAAAD!!! WE HAVE CLIENTS!!!! he yelled.

I giggled, looking as Edward was being kidnapped by the young boy and it reminded me of my childhood...

-MOOOOM!!! WE HAVE A GUEST!!!!! the blonde girl shouted toward the mansion.

-I-I'm not sure.... I defended.

-Are you kidding?? I know you!!! You're my mom's student!! And it's not because we never met and it's your test day you can't enter!!

-But....

-I'm Katy, she smiled brightly, you??

-Karen.... I answered looking away.

-Well Karen, let's be best friends!!!

-WHAAAT???

A hand landed on my shoulder and I turned around, noticing Alphonse was calling me.

-What were you thinking about? he asked me.

-Oh nothing, I answered smiling lightly.

-Heh! Let's go! he said proudly.

-What's with you? You don't sound normal! I stated following him.

-It's just.... You laughed. And smiled, he told me softly.

I stated stunned during a second. Did I do that? Did I truly looked happy? So it wasn't impossible after all... I could be happy, really, and I didn't need to fake my feelings... Life was odd sometimes. A brighter smile drew on my face as I headed toward the inn, my hands crossed behind my back and holding my suitcase.

-Come on, your brother is going to wait for us, I noted.

He nodded and we both reached Edward while he was talking to the inn keeper. He was in fact negotiating the price of our room.

-400.000 for three persons?!?! That's stealing!!

-It was 200.000 for two, but, as you asked a separate room for the girl, I added 100.000 to the normal price, he smirked.

-ARE YOU KIDDING????

I felt embarrassed and came to him, frowning.

-Edward, I can pay for myse-

-I'll pay.

-But I-

-I'll pay, he repeated.

-You don't have to do that for me!! I protested again.

-What are friends for? You'll repay me when you'll be able to, because I know you don't have a cenz right now.

-How would I be able to pay the train then???

-Oh just shut up please.

I was taken aback. He wanted to pay for me??? But what for?! We just argued earlier and yet he was acting all nice and kind. I didn't get it.

-Why? I asked him.

He sighed in annoyance while giving the inn keeper the amount he wanted. Then stared at me right in the eyes, dead serious.

-Al and I made a bet. He won, I pay.

I gave Alphonse a questioning look. A bet? On what?

-On you smile, the younger brother admitted, if it was sincere, you wouldn't have to pay tonight.

What was this kind of bet..... I shook my head, crossing my arms.

-Dammit, you two are priceless! I laughed, but thank you, it really touches me.

I was honest, nothing could make me happier right now, knowing I had friends...

All the evening, Edward spent it fixing people's broken stuffs with his amazing alchemy, with Alphonse, while I was playing with the kids. I wasn't as good as the Elric brothers for "metal" alchemy, but I had hands, and Youswell's people had wood and sharp knives. So here I was, sculpting small figures of knights, princesses and dragons to entertain them and to create stories for them to listen. Particularly.... One. One I used to play with Katy when we were small. I grabbed my suitcase and pulled out a wooden figure of her that I made. It was the only one painted, because I had time to lose this day. The one which represented me was kept preciously next to her in her grave. They looked at me, not understanding.

-Let's say this is the princess's most influential servant, and...

I kept playing with them the story we made when we were kids with Katy. Until I hear a shout behind me. I turned around and saw Edward was thrown out of the inn. I looked at Alphonse with incredulity.

-They learnt he was a state alchemist.... he told me.

So they hated the state here... That was a good thing to know, I realized I'd also be thrown out if they knew my surname...

The night went by, Alphonse sneaked out to feed his brother and I stayed, talking to the people.

-So you say the military in charge of this place doesn't do his work? I raised an eyebrow.

-Indeed, we are harassed by the taxation always higher and higher, and we aren't well treated... the inn keeper sighed.

If my brother knew.... I would tell him when we get back to Central. He had to fire this guy, or at least try to convince his superiors if he could!! All of a sudden, the someone slammed the door and militaries entered brusquely. I stood up in a protective position in front of the kids while the inn keeper stayed still.

-Your inn is horrible as always, Howling, the military declared.

I hated his arrogant tone... Suddenly, Kayal, the inn keeper's son, threw a wet towel toward the military, who took it right in his face. If I wasn't scared for what was going to happen, I would already yell "nice shot Kayal!!". But I didn't. I didn't get to move either, because as I was going to defend him, Edward arrived and stopped a soldier's sword.

-Who are you?

-State Alchemist Edward Elric, he introduced himself while showing his pocket watch.

//it's me!! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!! I offer you a winter Karen for both Christmas and 2017!! I hope you'll like her as much as this chapter!!! ^^