Chapter 4 : I am not strong

I winced as I opened my eyes. I was in the nursery of the headquarters, my wounds treated and bandages around them. A quick look at my gloves reassured me on their state ; they weren't damaged. I sighed in relief and leaned my head back on the pillow, staring at the ceiling. I couldn't consider this as a victory. All I did was holding on during ten minutes against a state alchemist - if the fight was longer, I bet I would have lost anyway. But I felt happy. The state alchemists were really powerful. I already knew it with my brother (I called him flamethrower) but even a guy of my age was this strong. It nearly made me drool of admiration! I smiled a little, closing my eyes, when suddenly the door opened brusquely. I lifted my eyelids and looked toward the entrance.

-Savoring your little victory? Edward asked sitting next to the bed.

-Not my victory. I'd rather say a draw? For the ten minutes thingy I mean, I would have lost.

-Not sure, I was tired as well and I kinda underestimated you. But draw is fine with me.

-What do we do about the bet?

-Since it's a draw I let you choose.

I thought a little and noticed his gaze was on my bare automails. After all... He saw them now, and clever as he was, I knew that he already understood.

-I'll tell you my secret. You don't have to if you don't want, I declared.

-I'd be really glad to apply the equivalent exchange law, but I... I am not brave enough right now to tell you. Later, he promised me.

-It's your choice, not mine.

I took a deep breath and relaxed a little before sitting up and showing him my automails.

-It was over a year ago. I had a friend, my best and only friend. Her mother was my air alchemy teacher and we would always be stuck together. But Katy was sick. Tuberculosis...

I paused slightly, feeling my eyes watering slightly at this thought. I shook my head and clutched my hands on the blanket.

-You don't need to continue if you don't want... he muttered.

-It's fine, just... It's fine. So, she died of tuberculosis. At this moment, Roy was often at work, early and late, my teacher was devastated. And so was I. I remembered the book about human transmutation and... You know the rest.

-The white room, the Gate and the truth...? That's right?

I nodded looking down a little.

-Yes I do know. I remember every piece of it, the knowledge given to me... And Edward whispered.

He put a hand on my shoulder to comfort me a little.

-You know, you are strong. I mean, I've been through those difficulties as well, but... I had people to support me.

I smiled bitterly, shaking my head in disapproval. I didn't think I was strong, not at all. I would rather consider myself as weak. Useless. So meaningless. Just worthless.

-I'm not. You are strong. Not me. Did you want to die when you noticed your failure...? I'm sure the answer is no.

-No I did not, indeed. But you could hold on right? You didn't let your depression get over you and you're still alive! Somewhere, hidden in your heart, I know you're strong.

-Thank you Edward, I smiled weakly.

-By the way, you don't need gloves to use alchemy anymore, he added winking at me before leaving.

So.... The reason he didn't need circles anymore was the Truth...? I had to remember that.

***

When you're all alone
And need to live by your own
Remember that light shows in darkness
That you can fight your loneliness....

I looked around me. This voice, I knew it... I turned around and saw a blonde haired girl sitting in a beautiful flower field, her eyes closed. I made a step toward her, an another, and another, until I reached her and could nearly touch her. My eyes watered as I extended my hand to grab her shoulder. She opened her eyes and smiled at me, finishing her song.

I'll always stay by your side too
Because I know me friend is you
So don't worry and go on
All you now need I to hold on...

Petal flowers flew around her brusquely, making me lose my balance as I let her shoulder go and fell on my back. When my dizziness finally let my mind think again, she wasn't here anymore.

I woke up covered in sweat, tears pouring on my cheeks.

-Katy... I muttered burying my face in my hands.

***

I opened my brother's bedroom door. I was tired, but it was seven in the morning, and he would be late for work. Usually, I was still sleeping but I couldn't since my last nightmare. He groaned and I walked toward the window to open the curtains, revealing the shining sun, already high enough in the sky. As usual, the streets were already crowded and active, so was the reputation of Central city. I smiled a little and turned myself toward my brother.

-Roy, you're going to be late at work, again, I told him.

He sighed and his himself under his blanket. I smirked. Is he wanted to play...

-Fine! I'll tell Riza you don't want to do your paperwork! I'm sure she'll be pleased to shot you between the eyes!

Automatically, he stood up and I went out for him to get ready. I prepared his coffee mug, like every morning, then put the Central Time next to it. According to my memory, the Elric brothers were supposed to leave for their new mission, and I would be alone again... It was nice having kind of... Friends here, even if all we did was fighting for fun... My brother finally arrived in the kitchen and took his newspaper.

-Is there something bothering you? he asked me reading the news.

-Oh well... I was just wondering when they would come back... I answered.

He took a sip of his coffee and I could notice the small smirk on his face.

-Well, in fact they are looking for the Philosopher's stone. And I sent them to Liore for that matter.

I took note of all his words in my mind, nodding. Suddenly, he pulled something out of his coat and put in in front of me before standing up. It was a book.

-I know you might already read about it, but it can't hurt right? he smiled.

I took it and smiled back at him.

-Thank you brother.

-You're welcome!

The book was about the famous Philosopher's stone, and inside was a train ticket for Liore.

//yo!! I think I was out of inspiration for some passages XD anyway, what do you think?? Should I change few things??? ^^ I hope you still enjoy my little Karen!!! See ya ;)