Chapter 23 : Forever, goodbye...

-Winry!!! I called her as I saw her in the hospital room, I didn't know you were coming!!

-Karen!! I just arrived today, Ed called me to fix his automail, she explained smiling.

-Right! What do you think of Central?

-Amazing and lively town! Wait, I have to put that screw here...

I giggled, looking at my friends. Ed was truly injured during our fight in the laboratory, he had a bad cut too, many bruises. Al didn't seem too hurt, but he looked troubled. I didn't want to annoy him with my questions though, he might only be worried about his brother... I smiled slightly, looking at the blonde girl while she was taking care of Ed's automail. Once she was done, all of a sudden, Hughes appeared in the hospital room. I smiled widely.

-Hey everyone! Oh Karen! Didn't expect you here! Is it your girlfriend Edward??

-NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!!! he groaned.

I giggled and looked at my pocket watch.

-I'm going to leave you now, I have some business to take care of... I frowned.

-Business? Winry asked me surprised.

-Yeah, stuffs, I smiled, take care everyone!!

I left them and went out of the hospital. I put my hat on my head and headed down the street, among the crowd. I looked around while I was walking; I loved watching people and imagine what they could do, if they were late, what kind of work they did, if they were married... Looking at normal people's lives was interesting, not that I wasn't a normal person, but... I kind of had a troublesome life. If I took stock of everything that happened, I lost a friend, I lost my arms, I lost my will to live... I lost many things. However... If I continued, I gained new friends, I gained a pocket watch and... I lost my love. I stopped in the middle of the avenue, looking down. This was still painful, in my heart, even if my mind, my reason told me to move on. It was hard. I took a deep breath. Well, it seemed all too easy, after all. Who would like someone with two horrible automails instead of arms...? Automail freaks like Winry, maybe, but among "normal" people...? The answer was no one. No one would ever think automails were elegant, no one would ever think they weren't disgusting. And of course, because they were all but attractive. So how could I even hope this might happen? No, I was so naive. Finally, maybe he was right. I was unconscious, naive, pathetic. I sighed slightly and got back on track. This wasn't the moment. I stopped by a bookshop to buy something, a gift for my teacher. I would need this if I didn't want to be killed because of our little "adventure" with the Elric brothers. I grabbed a book about alchemy. She had an entire library , but I didn't remember having seen it before, so I took it. It was sunny, outside. It was around midday now, people stopped in restaurants to eat. There was a pleasant fuss coming from the shops, as well as an even more pleasant smell of food. But I didn't stop. I couldn't just give in to temptation. Suddenly, someone bumped into me. A boy. Around my age.

-I-I'm sorry! he apologized.

A girl hung onto his arm and looked annoyed.

-Come on~! she whined, I'm hungry!

I smiled at them.

-It's fine, I said before they left, have a nice day.

I heard them whisper once they went away from me.

-She was weird! How old was she??

-I don't know, maybe as old as us?

-She should stop looking like an old woman then! the girl laughed.

Well... Thanks, I guess... I rolled my eyes and decided to ignore them. It wasn't their fault if they didn't live what I did, after all, and it surely wasn't my fault if I had weird tastes with clothes. Well, maybe it was... But anyway... I soon arrived in front of my teacher's mansion. I rang before entering, carefully. Laetitia was waiting for me in the door frame.