1. Hello world

25th December

I wrapped my arms around his neck as he leaned close enough I could smell his aftershave. He gently laid me on my bed and brushed back my tangled hair.

"We shouldn't be doing this," he murmured, staring at my now swollen lips.

"I know but no one's up," I whispered back. He grinned then pecked my lips before laying next to me. Quietly, I rolled over onto my side to face him.

"Not on Christmas morning in your mom's house," he said shaking his head. "It's the day for family and we have forever."

"Are you gay? Is that why you're avoiding me?"

"No, I find you very attractive." His hand caressed my thigh proving his point. "I just think we should wait."

I pouted then moved off the bed. I picked up my shirt on my way to the bathroom. "Fine. But when you're finally ready, I'll be the one who has a problem."

Kane let out a silent laugh and I closed the door behind me. The house was silent as it was 4 a.m. My mother had decided to let Pia, Kane and I stay in her house for the holidays and so far, it had been great. Apart from the cold. Kane had pointed out that if we shared a bed it would be warmer so I agreed but things became a little more than PG after a few minutes.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. The same strange gold eyes, light tan from the summer before and the top of my head looking like a dark brown nest. Yep, I looked flawless...in a parallel universe. In the attempt to look presentable rather than someone who was about to do the dirty, I dragged a brush through my hair and splashed water on my face.

When I re-entered my bedroom, I found Kane laying on the bed texting on his phone. I saw him grinning at a text he received. I leaned over to try and see what was amusing him but he swiftly locked his phone.

My eyebrow immediately rose. "Why can't I see?"

He smiled at me. "It's just Tash from my class. You know, the girl studying modeling with me," he said trying to put me at ease. It worked..a bit.

Kane went to Royals University, a place for the descendants of the most and least famous fairytale characters to study whatever they want which is why you could study things like modeling. I, on the other hand, went to the University of Tskus with Pia which was only an hours drive away from Kane.

"Okay, so what's so funny?" I asked casually. There was no way I wanted to come across as the jealous girlfriend but it bothered me that he would just tell me.

"Nothing." He quickly dismissed it and continued talking to his classmate. I stood waiting for him to continue until I realised that was it.

Irritated, I decided to leave him and his phone and find out what I got for Christmas. I crept downstairs, trying not to wake anyone up but the glowing light from the kitchen told me someone else was awake.

A head, covered with blond hair that was now shoulder length, was looking around in my refrigerator. Finally, Pia found what she was looking for. The last tub of cookie dough ice cream.

"Pia! How could you!?" I exclaimed.

Her green eyes widened in shock that she had been caught. Then she smirked at me.

"Rhea, don't act so surprised. The real question is why are you here?"

"Erm...to look at the Christmas tree?"

"Is that a question?"

"No?"

She chuckled then handed me a spoon so we could both feed our addiction of unhealthy products. We ate in silence, both thinking of how our lives were now.

"So..." Pia said. "Why aren't you doing the naked tango with the descendant of Charming?"

I shrugged. "He thinks we should wait."

"Wait for what? The second coming of Jesus? Pancake day? Aliens?" I choked on my ice cream but she didn't seem to notice. "I always thought he was gay."

"Pia!"

"It's true though. Did you see the way he checked out Matt's ass?" she pointed out.

"First, I asked Kane and he said no. Second, everyone was looking at Matt because he was twerking and drunk."

Pia spat out the cookie dough in surprise. "You asked him?"

"Asked him what?"

Kane stood at the doorway in his blue pyjamas. His reddish brown hair was wet so I assumed he had just left the shower. Pia looked ready to recite our conversation to him but I quickly explained.

"Asked you...what you got me for Christmas," I lied. He stared at us as if trying to work out if we were telling the truth. I gave him the same smile he gave me in my room. "So what's my gift?"

Grinning, he sat down on one of the seats near counter. "I can't tell you but it's really good." He looked like a little boy with the excitement in his face. My annoyance melted away and I couldn't help but be excited too. However, Pia rolled her eyes at him then dumped her spoon in the sink.

"You two are acting as if you're children. Kane, I'm praying that your 20 year old brain got something useful this time because for Rhea's 19th you got her a set of plates," she muttered but loud enough we heard her.

Kane turned red and looked to the floor. I moved over to hug him so he knew it was okay but behind his back, I laughed along with Pia at the memory.

Some would say plates are useful but what does a person do with plastic plates that are damaged? The answer is: put them in the bin when the boyfriend isn't looking.

#

Hello from the other side!

Book 2 had officially begun & I'M SORRY it's late. My WiFi got cut off because my family decided to be hardcore and refuse to pay the bills. *sighs*

Anyway, I hope you like the start ;) and enjoy the rest!

XO Nyx_