43. Mother knows best

Rhea's POV

"You complete and utter useless boy! How could you let this happen?"

"It wasn't me."

"And now she's in hospital because you couldn't stay away from trouble," a woman yelled then it was followed by rapid Spanish.

"You know she can hear you."

I opened my eyes slowly and saw that I was in a hospital. Tubes snaked into my arms with the heart monitor bleeping regularly. I'm alive! I smiled slightly then the situation hit me.

"Where am I?" I asked to no one in particular.

"You're-"

"Go away, Hadrian. You can see her later. I haven't even spoke to the girl since you decided not to introduce her."

"I was-"

I heard a thud then the sound of a door closing. A blonde woman came into view, smiling lightly.

"We haven't met because of my stupid son. I'm Isabella DiRomero, Hadrian's mother," she said with a slight accent.

My eyes widened. "Hi."

She sat down on the bed and held my hand gently. "I'm so sorry that you've gone through all this."

"It's okay-"

"No, it's not. I would love to tell you to just stay away from Hadrian altogether but I have a feeling neither of you would enjoy that," her blue eyes seemed to glow. "And I don't think he would even listen to me."

"What happened? I can't remember much."

"You were bleeding so much to a point where your heart stopped. Hadrian brought you to me so I was able to bring you back."

"I died?"

"Almost. Hadrian delayed your death so your soul didn't leave your body, making my job easier."

I sighed, feeling like crying. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me. I only did what I had to."

She squeezed my hand then left the room.

"Can I see her now?" Someone shouted impatient.

"No. It's my turn."Pia ran in, crying. "I F*CKING HATE YOU. I TOLD YOU TO STAY SAFE BUT NO ONE LISTENS TO ME AND YOU ALMSOT DIED!"

"Sorry," I mumbled as she gave me crushing hug.

"You owe me a huge apology in the form of cookies."

"Okay." I looked behind her. "Where's Ryan?"

Pia gave me small smirk. "He's now taking over the Mala group who tried to kill you and making them work as a supernatural FBI."

"That's good," I told her surprised. I had been wondering whether he got out of the building alive. We spoke for almost an hour, trying to catch up.

"Your boyfriend is getting annoyed," she teased.

"He's-"

"He's f*cking fed up," Hadrian said bursting in. He picked up Pia and dumped her outside. "Text her tomorrow."

I folded my arms. "That was uncalled for."

"But it worked," he smiled then became serious. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah. The drugs are working."

A doctor walked in with a clipboard. "Hello, Rhea. How are you feeling?"

"I'm good."

"Good. Good. Now, you have no scars or bruises since Mrs. DiRomero healed them but your leg must remain in a cast. We'll explain to your boyfriend how to look after it."

He explained a few things then went on his way. I narrowed my eyes at Hadrian.

"Why does everyone think we're together?"

He raised his hands. "It wasn't me."

I raised an eyebrow.

"I swear," he said, smirking. "But if you want..."

"If you're going to ask me out, do it properly or leave and come back later."

He smirked even more. "Fine. I'll be back."

"Close the door on your way out."

"Yes, your majesty," he replied sarcastically.

*****

It was late. Like 1am late. I was watching a movie on my phone in the dark. My mother had come to see me and a few other people but now I was alone since visiting hours were over.

Then I heard the door being opened. I turned off my phone then lay on the bed as if I was asleep. By the slight increase in my heart rate, I knew exactly who it was. The person gently brushed back my hair and sat down on the chair beside me.

"I would like to say that I'm f*cking sorry for letting you get hurt and I'll make it up to you. Also, I apologise in advance for the unromantic way I'm going to ask you out. And I think you should stop pretending you're f*cking asleep."

I rolled over to face Hadrian. "How did you know?"

"You never sleep on your left," he pointed out.

"Smartass."

"I try."

"At the rate you're going, I may not accept your offer."

"Yes, you are."

"You don't know that."

"I asked Pia."

"I hate you."

"I love you."

I froze at the sincerity in his voice. "What did you say?"

His eyes seemed to glow in the dark as he gave me a small smile. "I don't expect you to believe me or even say it back but I meant what I said."

"Can you repeat it?"

"I love you."

"I didn't get that."

"I love you."

"What was that? I couldn't-Stop!"

I started laughing as Hadrian began the most ruthless form of torture on my sides - tickling. He suddenly stopped after a while and grinned at me.

"Miss. Montero, I have a question for you. Will you do the honors of-"

"No," I answered.

"I was going to say take these cookies but I can eat them if you want..."

I grabbed the packet from his hand. "Thank you."

"Can I continue now?" I nodded. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Of course. Who else would date you?"

"Now that you mention it..."

#

THIS IS LATE! I know

ONE MORE CHAPTER TO GO!

AND IF IT'S CHRISTMAS FOR YOU, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

XO Nyx_