29. Pia strikes and scores

"Are you even listening to me?"

Pia sat on one of the chairs near the closest table. It was raining outside and she opted for a giant yellow raincoat. I was behind the counter, preparing coffee for a customer as I was working. I had been ambushed by my crazy friend and she decided to explain everything she had done in the last two weeks, including what she had for breakfast.

"Yes, Pia." I handed the over the coffee to the girl who was paying for it.

"I heard that you broke up with Kane."

I turned away from her gaze and wiped an invisible smudge of dirt from the coffee machine. "Yeah. I did."

"And I also heard that you're f*cking Hadrian." I started choking on air. In the corner of my eye, I saw Pia gasp. "You are!? I wasn't completely sure but you've confirmed it."

"I'm not," I argued.

"But you have," she noted. I didn't reply causing her to frown. "But how did that even happen?"

"I don't know, Pia. It just did."

She stood up and leaned over the counter to stare into my eyes. "Do you like him?"

"Psh. No. I haven't seen him for two days and I don't really care," I told her. Being the annoyingly good best friend, she saw right through me.

"You miss him!" Pia exclaimed banging a cup on the table. People turned their heads to see what the noise was about.

"Shhh." I took the cup out of her grip, afraid she would do it again.

"What happened to not having feelings, Rhea?"

"I don't have any."

"Liar, liar pants on fire."

"I'm not lyi-"

"Liar."

"Bu-"

"Liar."

"Pia."

"Liar."

I clamped my hand over her mouth to shut her up. "Please stop." She glared at me. Then Pia bit me. I released her and scrunched up my face in pain. "Why, Pia? Why?"

"I have something to say and you were stopping me. Hadrian is coming in 10 seconds with a girl and you're going to take their order. How do you feel?"

I gave her a fake grin of joy. "Absolutely fine. Give me a second."

I went to the back of the cafe where only staff were allowed to enter. My co-worker, Jill, was opening the packages that had just been delivered. She looked up when she heard me walk in.

"Rhea, love, why are you here? You should be at the front," she gave a worried look.

"Erm... Well, there's a customer that I really can't deal with so could you..."

She chuckled. "Ah. A boy. Don't worry. I'll do the orders, you can sort out the packages."

"Thanks," I said gratefully.

Jill hurried out and I stared at the endless amount of boxes. Some were for the kitchen and some were for the coffee maker and now I had the task of figuring out what went where then drop them off. So this was the cowardly way out but I wasn't going to watch Hadrian flirt with a girl.

Thirty minutes later and half of the deliveries were gone. Pia had texted me that she was gone and would find out where I am. I opened a box to find cookies. My mouth began to water from the amazing aroma. If I had one...