34. Running from danger

Rhea's POV

It had been a week and no Hadrian. Although he did what I asked, I felt like a piece of me was missing. I had gone to Pia's place and broke down into tears. She comforted me, gave me cookies but she couldn't help the feeling that Hadrian and I were finally over.

"He's gone," Thalia told me through the phone.

"Who?"

"Your boyfriend!"

I sat down on the sofa which Pia said I could sleep on in my mission to avoid Hadrian. "What boyfriend?"

"Angel boy. Or demon. Depends how you see it. Anyway, he stopped asking me where you were every single f*cking day and now he's gone."

"Maybe he's in his room..."

"I checked."

"Staying with Ryan?"

"You can ask but I have a feeling he's not here. Like on Earth. My crystals are telling me he's not in our magyk plane."

I let out a sigh. Slightly worried, I whispered, "Is he dead?"

"Hopefully not. Otherwise we would have a heck load of people not dying."

Someone knocked on the door. "Thalia, I'll talk to you later."

"Kay. Bye."

I went to the front and swung open the door. A beautiful girl, my age, stood there smiling. She had violet eyes and her platinum blonde hair was past waist length and curled at the ends.

"Hello, Rhea. Can I come in?"

Obviously, I found it slightly strange that a random person knew my name and was talking to me like we were friends. "Erm...not to be rude or anything, but who are you?"

She slid past me, letting out a gentle laugh. "I'm Alecto."

"As in, Alecto who cursed Hadrian?"

"Yes." She started going through the cupboards as if she lived here.

"Why are you here, then?"

"Ah!" Alecto held a lighter then looked at me. "You ask too many questions, darling. And they're not the right one's either."

"What should I be asking?"

"Wrong question."

She pulled out a black feather from her pocket, similar to the one I found in the hotel room ling ago. Then, she brought it towards the flames. I suddenly felt the urge to stop her so I grabbed the feather and moved it away from her. Alecto raised a perfect eyebrow.

"So Cupid was right."

"About what?" I said, frustrated at her ominous words.

"Wrong question again. I'll start you off. Repeat after me. Where's Hadrian?"

"Where's...Hadrian?"

"Good," she clapped. "Your boyfriend-"

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Would you prefer soul mate, lover, bae, your other jigsaw piece, the salt to your sugar, honey or sweetheart?"

I held up my hands. "That's a bit much."

"If you say so," she said, shrugging. "But you're lying to yourself."

"I'm not a liar."

"Yet you're lying now. Why can't you just admit it?"

"He loves another girl," I pointed out.

Alecto smiled. "You'll find out why, soon enough but Hadrian's yours and you shall bear his mark." She reached forward and pressed her index finger to the back of my neck. It started to heat up until I felt like I was on fire. Finally, she removed her hand. I rubbed the back of my neck to feel nothing there.

"What did you do?" I muttered in shock from the pain.

"I put the Chinese symbol of death on you. Now, you have a link with Hadrian if you ever need him."

"Why Chinese?"

"I just came from China," she said casually. "Had to sort out a few grim reapers who weren't doing their job right."

"Okay. You haven't answered my question yet. Where's Hadrian?"

She tutted at me. "Actually, it was my question. And he's below us." I stared at her with confusion. "He's in the Underworld, I mean."

"Doing what?"

"Sulking probably. Or crying. Also, I have a message from Cupid. She wants to meet up with you today in some restaurant and she'll text you the details."

"She doesn't have my number," I said.

My phone buzzed due to a text message. I opened it and saw that it was from the angel of love herself. It had the address and time she wanted to see me.

"What if I don't want to see her?"

Alecto shrugged again. "She'll come to you."

I growled with frustration. I wasn't in the mood to deal with another DiRomero. All I wanted to do was watch a film, eat cookies and ponder on the billion of ways I could have dealt with Hadrian. With false hope, I replied to Cupid's text and told her I did not want to go. She responded with k. What was that supposed to mean? Alecto peered over my shoulder.

"Interesting..."

"Do you know what she means by that?" I asked.

"Well, there are a number of things," Alecto began pacing the room with long strides. She raised a finger. "One. She'll leave you alone and forget that you ever existed."

"That sounds good."

"Two. She'll start pestering you until you give in."

My smile faded in seconds. "That's harassment."

She paused mid stride. "Do you really think she cares? If she wanted to, she could hack into your phone and do whatever she wants to. That was number three by the way."

"Is there any more?"

"Actually, yes." Tapping her chin, she stared at the front door. "One more."

I waved my arms exasperatedly. "What is it this time? She'll frame me as a criminal? Cut off my hair in my sleep?"

"You have a very violent mind," she stated. "And no. None of that but you have someone about to knock on your door."

As she said, someone knocked and I went to open it, slightly annoyed. Hopefully it would be Pia. The person started knocking with urgency.

"Wait!" I yelled to them.

"Four. She'll knock you out," I was the last thing heard before something metallic smashed into my head, leaving me unconscious.

#

INTERVIEW with ALECTO

Nyx: Alecto! (runs up to her)

Alecto: Nyx! (hugs Nyx) Why are you in the underworld?

Nyx: I'm looking for Hade

Alecto: He's somewhere...

Nyx: Is he upset about Rhea?

Alecto: Surprisingly...no. He said he's sorted it out.

Nyx: (Shakes head) What has he done?

Alecto: He won't tell me but he's been wearing a lot of black

Nyx: (whispers) Maybe he's starting a gang...

Alecto: Do you need dozens of candles for a gang?

Nyx: Hmm...not sure. Haven't been a gang for centuries

Alecto: Same. I should go. I have people trying to blackmail the grim reapers in France

Nyx: Yeah. I have to...erm (mumbles) stalk Hadrian

Alecto: (laughs) Have fun

END of INTERVIEW