Nobody Wins

Chapter 25 

"Ahhhhh!" I screamed loudly as my body was lifted off the ground. I was definitely over-dosed, but I was sadly still awake. I hadn't really known what was going on for a while, I just knew that I was badly injured. For the life of me, I couldn't remember why, and then when I did remember it would only be for a few moments before I would forget again.  

I had lost some of my time, somewhere. I didn't know how long I had been lying there, or if anyone had come by. I wasn't even sure why I was lying down, other than the fact that I had hurt myself. I absolutely couldn't forget that, no matter how hard I tried.  

If the wind blew over me, I was in pain. If one of my muscles twitched, I was in pain. If anything touched my hands or arms, I was in pain. The situation was only made tolerable by complete and utter stillness. I couldn't move, but I couldn't not. Even though I could still feel the pain, I would sometimes forget about it in my narcotic fueled haze. Once I forgot, I would try to move and remind myself through searing pain, that I couldn't do that. It was a vicious circle that I repeated quite a few times. 

The pain in my hands had only died down slightly, I mostly felt the pain up my arms; a burning like fire was spreading upward and would sting frequently. One look at my hands had me retching; they were swollen and covered in black and yellow blisters. I wouldn't be surprised if it had actually made it down to the bone. My hands looked as though they were about to explode, like an over-filled water balloon.  

"Sadie, I'm so sorry, but we have to get you out of here!" Someone pleaded into my ear. I pulled my attention away from the pain and looked over to see Dean. He was shirtless, probably completely naked, and covered in blood. He was holding me against his chest and his eyes were begging me to understand. "Please Sadie, I have to get you back to the house, the burn won't stop spreading and I have nothing to wipe away the silver." 

I watched his face as he pulled my body closer to his, part of my arm moved to rest against his skin. I screamed at the same time he winced. It the middle of my cries, I noticed that my skin was burning his. I could actually see and hear it. If the fact that my hands were still burning wasn't scary enough that definitely turned it up a notch.  

I yanked my arm away causing myself more pain and cried out as I yelled, "Go, just go!" 

Dean didn't even hesitate before moving. He smoothly walked at a quick pace towards a destination that I did not know. The wind hitting my arms was extremely painful and I allowed myself to cry to whole way. I felt like it was the only way to relieve some of the pain. Even if it wasn't, I felt better to cry. I didn't care if Dean thought I was a baby, all I could care about was my pain. It infiltrated all my senses.  

When we made it to a house, not mine or Jackson's, everything got worse. Dean and I walked into a full on chaotic mess. Bodies were lying everywhere while people ran around the room attending to them. The only coherent thought I had was that Jackson's house must have been too full, and we were losing.  

I tried to assess the situation better, but my spinning head wouldn't let me. The more I tried to focus the worst I felt. I eventually had to close my eyes and lean my head against Dean's chest.  

"Luna! Where is the Luna?" Dean yelled at anyone who would listen. After a few more tries he changed tactics. "Kate!" Dean yelled. At first I didn't care who he was looking for or why, but then I remembered that Kate was my mom's name. I whipped my head away from his chest just in time to see my mom running to me. My movement was too quick and I had to blink rapidly to steady my vision, if only slightly.  

She looked a mess. Her face was red and sweat had her hair stuck to her forehead. The white apron that she wore was covered in dirt and dried blood, and so were the clothes underneath it. Her eyes were bloodshot and her overall appearance was just that of an exhausted lady. She seemed worn down and frantic.