{6.} THE IRONY OF CHOKING ON A LIFESAVER

|| "Ugh." I yawned and grabbed my phone off my bedside table. My eyes widened when I looked at the screen.

89 NEW MESSAGES, 54 MISSED CALLS

I considered the idea that I could have missed something but then I remembered. It was Ariel trying to get me back. I sighed, put my phone back and laid on my side. I smirked to myself, closed my eyes and extended out my hand to feel Dory's back, yet I found nothing. I opened my eyes to figure out she was gone. I quickly leaned up and looked around.

We had fallen asleep in the same bed, I know that for a fact. Maybe she just got up to use the rest room?

I got up and out of the bed just to find a sticky note right next to where I had placed my phone. I picked up the note and as I read it, I smiled.

I had to get up and get ready for work. I hope you have a wonderfully fantastic day!
love, Dory.

I then thought to myself. I grinned a little bit more before getting dressed.

... Around thirty minutes later

    || "Yeah, I'm so sorry I had to leave so soon. I just try to come in early so Jeremy doesn't have to be alone..." I listened to her closely, my eyes slightly wide as I leaned against a shelf and stuffed my hands into my pockets. I smiled. After listening to all the voice mails Ariel had left me I needed some light and happiness to cheer me up. Lucky for me, Dory just so happened to be filled to the brim with sunshine and was cheering me up already.

"Alone? Is...Jeremy the first person to come in?" She nodded and smiled at me.

"He's the head manager actually. He's worked here for a long time...He has problems with insomnia so I usually come in and help him open up early. He would if it was me so why not!" I laughed a little and nodded. Her eyes then widened as she gasped and grabbed onto my arms. "Do you know what today is?" I slowly began to laugh as I looked down at her.

"I-I don't think so...What's today?" she smiled brightly.

"It's the day before Christmas Eve, silly!" I began to grin.

"I almost forgot. You know, I think my family reunion is tomorrow or the day after..." I checked my watch. "I guess I'll have to fly down there soon. I'm guessing you have family to visit too?"

"Oh, no. No family." she chirped and shook her head. I frowned.

"You...don't have any family to visit?"

"Oh no. Not at all, none. All of my extended family lives too far away." I raised my eyebrows. I was intrigued instantly.

"W-what about your mom and dad?"

"Oh well mom I... I don't know where my mom is and my dad, well. My dad's dead but that's not the point. The point is we got so much Christmas stuff, soooo much Christmas stuff. It's like winter wonderland with bubbles I can not stress this to you enough." she leaned in very close to me and whispered. "It is the best thing I've ever seen." usually I'd chuckle and let her show me around, yet at this moment I couldn't be more serious.

"...You're dad's dead?" she nodded.

"He died a long time ago. But seriously, we got like six new bubble bars..." as if hearing about the death of Dory's father wasn't enough to make me feel unsettled, I felt a tap on my shoulder that made me get goosebumps. I turned to see the last person I wanted to see. Ariel.