{10.} CATS AND DOGS

|| I yawned and smiled as I opened my eyes. I felt surprisingly better than usual. Maybe it was because of Dory...Or maybe because I knew I'd see Dory again soon. I picked up my phone of my nightstand to see what time it was. As soon as I saw it, my eyes widened. Yesterday night, after the movie was finished, I had told Dory that I would be at the store at noon. Therefore I was naturally alarmed to find out that it was five thirty. Pm. 

"Oh shit." I quickly got out of my bed and got dressed.

... 10 minutes later

    || I opened the door to the store and walked in. I was panicking as I looked around, desperate to find her. I was moments away from exploding. Jeremy approached me with a raised eyebrow.

"Jesse? You okay man--"

"Where's Dory? I need to see her. Right now." I interrupted him as soon as I caught sight of him. My heart was racing and my palms were sweating, my thoughts became unclear and I began to breathe in and out heavily.

"She's...Right over there. Dude, are you okay?" he put his hand on my shoulder. I shook my head and looked around some more. As I quickly found her I quickly jogged towards her.

"Dory!" I shouted. She turned towards me and smiled.

"Oh, hi! I didn't think you were--" I immediately grabbed her and hugged her tightly as she gasped. "O-oh. Are you okay?" I shook my head, staying silent. She hugged me back for a few moments before attempting to pull away. "Jesse what's wrong?"

"I don't want to talk about it. Not yet, anyway." I whispered. I tightened my grip on her and squeezed my eyes shut. I tried to focus on the moment. I felt scared. I felt like a child who had been abandoned... I was lost. She tried to pull away again.

"Jesse? Can you tell me what's wrong?" I finally pulled away and looked at her. I bit my lip before answering.

"...I'm late. I'm so sorry..." she chuckled and shook her head.

"I don't mind. I've had worse happen, I just assumed you slept in." she smiled and shrugged. My lips parted.

"...Y-you're not mad?" she frowned, titling her head to the side as she stared at me.

"...Jesse...Why would I be?" I sighed.

"I-I'm sorry I just got really overwhelmed.." I used my hands to cover my face. After a few moments I could feel her pull my hands away from my face. I looked at her and kept biting my lip.

"Jesse, you don't have to worry about making me mad. But I'd like to know why you got so worried..."

"I just didn't know how you'd react. I-I didn't want to upset you..." I admitted, taking a small step back. She smiled a little and put her hands on my shoulders.

"...I think I know what will cheer you up. Have you tried to use a bath bomb yet?"

"...W-what exactly is that supposed to mean?"

... about twenty minutes later

|| "Okay...we're here." Dory pulled out her keys as we stopped in front of a door. I assumed this was her apartment, she insisted that we go to her place today. I stuffed my hands into my pockets and watched her patiently. I wondered what she had in mind...

"Oh--I forgot to ask you this. Are you allergic to dogs?" I raised a eyebrow.

"No...Why? Aren't you not allowed to have pets in this place?" she looked away with a mischievous grin.

She unlocked the door then stepped aside. "After you." I nodded, smiling as I walked in. I was immediately dazzled by the architecture of the place. Her apartment seemed simple yet very large. I ran my fingertips along the brick walls, my shoes making a small sound as I walked along the boarded floors. I gasped as I felt something furry brush along my foot. I could hear her chuckle as I looked down to see a small black kitten.

"After solid months of begging the landlord let me keep her. Her name's Batgirl." I chuckled and got on one knee as I began to pet the cat. I liked cats of course. Cats always were calm and always did their own thing...But then, I remembered what she had previously asked me and wondered why she asked me said question.

"Wait...You asked me if I was allergic to dogs...Why would you ask me that if you only have a cat?"

"Because I don't only have a cat." she clapped her hands and began to walk around. "Zeus! C'mon out Zeusy!" my eyes widened a little as I stood again. The cat seemed to stay close to my side as I followed her into the back room.

"You have a dog, AND a cat?"

"Mhm. Oh, there you are Zeus!" I watched as the dog climbed off of what I assumed was Dory's bed and eagerly ran towards us. The dog seemed very big and intimidating yet Dory's facial expression told me to not be afraid. She began to pet the dog, chuckling as she did so.

"Jesse, this is Zeus. Zeus this is Jesse." the dog quickly ran towards me.

"Whoa!" I gasped as the dog jumped up and pressed his paws against my arms. I quickly noticed the dog's pure green eyes and smiled. "H-hi there Zeus." the dog then got off me as I began to pet it. I could hear her laugh again.

"Don't be afraid of him. I mostly call him Zeus because in reality, he's just a big moose." I smiled a little more as I looked at her.

"I like the name. Very...fitting for such a big dog." I laughed quietly as the cat began to brush up against my leg again. I used one hand to pat the dog on the head and the other to rub the kitten's back. I looked to Dory again. "I like your cat too...And the apartment you got here is really nice..."

"Thanks. I think she likes you...And don't thank me, Thank Jeremy." I stood and tilted my head.

"Really? Did he pick it out or something? Are you guys roommates?" she shook her head.

"We're not roommates, but, he helped me pick it out a few years ago. Five years ago, actually. Anyways, I'm gonna go get the bath started." I raised my eyebrows again.

"...B-bath?"

"Oh well I thought watching a bath bomb would help cheer you up. We could stick our feet into it, eat pizza and talk. Maybe watch a movie even. It always make me really happy so I thought you might be the same way...." I began to slowly grin.

"...Yeah. I think that would cheer me up..."