{13.} STRESS, DORY, AND BEAUTIFUL WATER

Dory's Perspective

    || My eyelids seemed to flicker open and closed as I looked at the customer.

"Have a nice day!" I chirped, being as perky as I could as the costumer rolled their eyes and took the bag.

"You too, prick." I sighed and rubbed my hands over my face.

"Oh god, it's happening again."

"What's happening again?" Jeremy looked at me as he held up a magazine. Usually I was always optimistic and happy yet there were some days were I just couldn't be.

"I don't feel like I usually do. I feel tired and stressed out..." Jeremy tilted his head.

"So you feel...like an average New Yorker?" I rolled my eyes. I glanced over at my ukulele and smiled to myself. I got up on the front counter and began to play a song. There was barely any people in the store today and I didn't think anyone would mind. I began to sing to myself quietly and smile.

"And I'm drinking coffee while I...read the paper I've been...saving money, eating only top ramen..." 

I smiled to myself as I sang the silly lyrics. I had made up the song while moving to New York...it was one of my favorite songs to sing to myself then and it still is today. I closed my eyes and began to move my head to side to side.

"Now I get a holiday...wherever I go, I might stay... I don't plan on going back...ever if I can help it..."

I smiled a little more and began to quietly harmonize, humming a little. Then I felt a cold hand on my shoulder.

"Please stop. It's annoying." a random customer spoke as I sighed and looked away.

"Sorry sir...I won't do it again..." I put my ukulele away and got off the counter. As the costumer walked away, I groaned and rested my forehead against the table. "This. Is. The. Most. Boring. Day. Ever." Jeremy looked at me and raised a eyebrow.

"Why don't you take the day off? You definitely deserve it...you've probably worked here more than I have..." I sighed and shook my head. I turned towards him and folded my arms.

"I would, but I never quit...But thank you for the offer." as I turned away from him, Jeremy sighed and added to his previous statement.

"You know, have you ever considered the idea that maybe sometimes quitting is the better option?" I bit my lip and thought to myself. I answered him after several moments of silence.

"...Don't remind me." I then flinched as I could hear my phone ring from inside my back pocket. I made sure a smile was on my face before I answered. "Hello you have reached Lush cosmetics, my name is Dory, how may I help you?"

"Dory, it's Jesse. Isn't this your personal number?" I blushed wildly.

"O-oh yes, yes it is. Sorry. How are you?"

"Oh I'm good, I'm good. Actually I was wondering if you would take off work today. I thought we could do something fun..." I gasped deeply.

"One moment." I put the phone to my shoulder and turned to Jeremy. "Why does everyone want me to take off work today?"

"I only suggested it. Do you want to take the day off?"