Chapter One

6:38, June 1, 1983

6:38, June 1, 1983.

Her pancakes were horrible. It was burnt and tasteless.

GGRRRRR! Her stomachache growled.

"Vale," Gran scolded her granddaughter. "Eat your food, child, you won't have much for lunch today."

"Gran, Paps is the worst cook. Do I really have to eat this?" She whined.

The old woman sharply turned from her pottery. Vale could feel the lecture that was going to be forced down her throat. But the woman only frowned and shook her head.

"Just eat, child." Gran's voice was small. "Just eat."

Vale blinked and finished her food without a single word. Then she walked to the worst place on earth.

The words on the chemistry book were always hard to read. But now it was worse. It was as if her vision was going in and out of focus, something wasn't right. She slipped her hand into her backpack to grab her glasses.

"Urgh." She groaned. She left her glasses on her dresser. Great.

She never had used her glasses much, only when she wanted to see far distances. Ever since she could remember she rarely wore her glasses. They were clunky and didn't do much anyways, not even let her see colors right. Now she really wished that she never made it a habit to leave them at home.

"What was that Ms. Samson?" Her teacher inquired. "You've memorized the Periodic Table? Wonderful!"

"Umm...I don't...really--" She fumbled with her words.

He was standing at her desk, waiting for her to spill out chemical elements. Her mind was set on her seeing problem. She blinked. Blinked again. Each time her vision got worse, so blurry that she couldn't read the words on the pages.

I just want to know what's going on. She thought.

That's when she felt it.

It was like a wave pulling out and back in her brain, sending and receiving information around her. That wasn't just it. She could feel people, almost like an auric energy surrounding them. But as quick as it came it flashed away.

"We're waiting." Mr. Marco mused.

The class snickered.

"Sir. I...I can't--I don't feel well." She held her head.

Mr. Marco's figure blurred in and out of her sight. She momentarily saw his face wrinkled in disgust.

"We don't have time for lies--" The chemistry teacher began.

Vale whipped her head to the sound of his voice. "Have I ever lied Mr. Marco. I. Don't. Feel. Good."

"Alright." The man sighed. "Get to the nurse's office."

She rubbed her eyes as she got out of her chair, things were starting to clear up.

"Thank you." She hissed quietly and shuffled out the classroom door.

After visiting Nurse Carly, Vale was sent home quickly. It seemed her symptoms were possibly a virus that was going through the town. "We can't take any chances." The nurse had said.

Now she was back at her grandparent's place. The small house's paint was chipped, the floors creaked, and the roof was water damaged, but it was her home. She couldn't complain.

"Gran! I'm home early today." She called from the living room. "The craziest thing happened, My vision got so wack that they sent me home."

There was no reply.

"Gran?" Vale looked around. "Paps?"

Like a flick of a switch, she couldn't see anything. The world had turned into a blob of blur and gray. Not again. she thought

The wave burst out of her mind sending back everything around her. The couch, lamps, the kitchen, the whole house and the street. Then she felt them.

Mr. Barbosa from across the street was mowing his lawn as his wife gathered the mail. The neighbors next door were inside their kitchen, and a toddler was playing in his back yard. She could sense where people were. However her grandparents were not anywhere near her.

Not mention everything she could hear.

Where are they?

As if on command she could feel the school, grocery stores and all the people. She knew where they all were. Her grandparents were at a restaurant, siting at table.

She shut it off with a scream. It was all to much, sounds had gotten louder than she had ever heard before. She sensed where building were and animals and people. She felt people's energy and something different, a new energy. She couldn't take it.

Vale clawed at her head as her knees buckled in. She stayed on the ground, whimpering as she remembered the pain that she felt.

"What is wrong with me." She muttered.