Chapter Five

13:07, June 5, 1983.

The Professor's energy was strong. The silver was radiant and it pulsed faster than any of the other mutants at the school.

"So this is the one from Baltimore." A man with an English accent spoke.

Vale guessed Hank nodded because he didn't give any verbal ques that she, in fact, was the mutant they were looking for.

"Well," The Professor inquired. "I reckon that Hank has told you basics. Why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself?"

She started feel uneasy. Everything about her seemed to just hide in the back of her brain and never come back. Her mind raced for information.

"I-I like climbing trees...?" Vale blurted, mentally slapping herself for saying something so stupid.

The Professor chuckled a little. Oh great, he thinks I'm a retard. She thought.

"I'm terribly sorry for making you nervous. Please, sit down." Mr. Xavier said kindly.

Vale's brows scrunched in concentration to zone her "sight" on the room they were in. She was surprised she hadn't ran into bookshelf or a chair.

"My name is Vale Samson." She began once she found a seat across from him. "I'm mostly blind and, uh I can...um, I know were things are without looking."

"She's also colorblind." Hank piped in.

"And my other senses are heightened." She mumbled. Recalling that she also failed to mention that when she met Mr. McCoy.

There was a silence that lasted not too long before Vale spoke again.

"Do I continue, or...?" She asked, shifting in her seat.

"If you like."

"I'm sixteen. I've been living with my grandparents since I was seven." Vale continued.

"I don't mean to pry," He questioned. "but your parents?"

Vale shrunk back into the leather seat. "My dad disappeared when I was six and my mom died a year ago."

"I'm sorry I asked--"

"No, no, its okay." She interrupted. Her ability expanded over the mansion. It still amazed her that there were so many of the bright sliver energies around the place.

She jumped and pulled her attention back to the Professor. She almost forgot.

"Did something slip your mind?" Hank asked sarcastically. Vale ignored him.

"I can sense mutants."

Mr. Xavier paused for a second. "Can you explain it for us?"

"Yeah. Most people have a dull silver energy and slow blinking pattern." She described. "While mutants have brighter energies and, I think depending on the person, faster patterns. Almost like a heart beat.

"Like, for example, you Professor. Your energy is the brightest out of every mutant here."

Hank and Professor Xavier were silent.

"Did I say something wrong?" Vale asked.

"No, Vale. Your ability is quite a peculiar one." He reassured her.

Her lips tugged in a tiny smile. She might finally understand what she could do with this power.

"Thank you Vale for your time, but I've got a class to teach." Said the Professor.

"Thank you for letting me stay here." She exclaimed. The man in the wheelchair stopped at the door way.

"It is my pleasure." And then he was gone.

Soon after Professor Xavier left to his class Hank walked with Vale until they could find someone who had a free period.

Luckily they did.

"Ms.Lee!" Hank called to a girl tapping at a keyboard.

"I swear whatever you think I did. I. Didn't. Do. it!" The girl stammered.

"What--Never mind that." Hank sighed. "Could you show her around the school, I have to work on an assignment."

"Har, Har, make fun of the blind girl." Vale grumbled. She hoped no one heard her.

"Sure." The girl agreed, sliding out of her chair.

"Thank you Jubil--"

"If I can take the rest of the day off." The girl finished.

"Fine." Mr.McCoy growled. "But only for today."

"Deal!"

Before Vale could ask where they were going, the girl swooped over and grabbed Vale's arm. They were out of the library in a snap.

"What's you name newbie?" The girl asked as they walked outside.

"Vale," She answered. "You?"

"Jubilee." The girl said. "I'm guessing you've already seen most of the mansion."

Vale frowned a bit. "Well, sort of. I'm kind of--"

"I say we book and head for the pool." Jubilee interrupted.

"I don't have a swimsuit." Vale said. She was so caught up with her conversation that she didn't notice the tree root in her way. But before she could do anything she was already on the ground.

Well, shit. She thought.

"Whoa, that tree really hates you." Jubilee joked and helped Vale on her feet.

"Nope." Vale grumbled, rubbing her shoulder. "Just severely near sighted."

"Oh... Wait then how--?"

"We all have strange abilities." Vale looked to were she thought Jubilee's face was. "Mr. McCoy compares it to echolocation. It's pretty much like that."

"Well I blow stuff up. We're all pretty strange here." She laughed.

Vale smiled. Maybe this school will be a lot more fun than she thought.

PS.

Thank you to those who have put this story in their reading lists. Shout out to @lazyrogue for being mt first comment and voter(That's not my sister). Thank you for reading!

You all are awesome!

Love, TophPug