Chapter Six

18:58, June 5, 1983

18:58, June 5, 1983.

Once dinner came around Vale realized that she was starving. After piling what she supposed was mashed potato's, pork and salad on her plate, she approached a table Jubilee was sitting at.

"Is anyone going to sit here?" She asked. She hated that her nerves had shown in her voice.

She didn't need to have perfect vision to know that she got some quizzical looks from the other teenagers. This was like any other school she had been too. Minus the fact it was a school for mutants.

"Oh guys, this is Vale." Jubilee introduced.

"Hi." She gave the two others a slight wave and sat down next to Jubilee.

"I'm Jean," Greeted a girl adjacent from Vale. "And this is Scott."

"Hi." Scott mumbled. Vale presumed he was eating.

Uncomfortable silence settled over the group, she could almost hear the awkwardness; if it wasn't for the other mutants in the room. Focusing more on the food Vale tried not to be overwhelmed by all flavors in her mouth, she almost had to spit out the first bite. She couldn't see her three companions faces but she could feel their stare.

"Well the food is better than my grandparents food, that's for sure." She proclaimed trying to break the soundless void between them.

Jubilee seemed to be the only one to find it funny, the other two only gave a quick laugh.

Wanting to leave quickly Vale shoveled her food into her mouth and swallowed as fast as possible. The outcome wasn't what she was expecting to say the least. In between coughs she reached for a napkin, abruptly spitting out under chewed piece of pork.     

Not wanting to hear what they had to say about the scene she made, Vale left. Putting her plate in the sink in a hurry she ran out the back door to the garden.

Vale ran towards the first tree she scanned for. It wasn't a massive tree with a trunk the size of a large barrel and branches thick as a muscular arm. The tree she decided to climb was normal, its trunk ordinary and the branches just thick enough to support her.

She pulled herself atop the highest limb that could hold her weight. After all those years of climbing trees Vale got to the top with ease. She laughed to herself remembering all the times she sneaked outside and hide up in a tree for hours.

A smile remained on her face until she heard something that sounded like a firecracker. Curiosity overcoming fear, she let her power search for the culprit.

The mutant that set off the sound crept along the walls of the institute, flicking miniature spheres of energy at the windows. Scaring anyone that came near. 

"Tabitha!" A girl's voice yelled from the second floor window. "You made Fluffy Buns poop himself! Now he wont come out from under the bed because of you!"

"Wah, wah, wah! Bite me." The culprit, Tabitha, snorted and flicked another explosion at the girl.

"There you are!" Scott's voice broke Vale's attention from the two girls less than a kilometer away.

Vale remembered the reason she was sitting on a tree branch and cringed.

"Oh, hey." She drawled awkwardly. She shifted on the limb, suddenly uncomfortable.

"We've been looking for you." Jubilee called from the ground.

"How did you get all the way up there?" Jean questioned.

Vale dropped from branch to branch and rolled onto the grass. "I've had a lot of experience."--She rose her shoulders--"I can teach you guys if you want."

The rest of the evening was spent falling off trees, Scott swearing and Jean cheating her way to the top.

Once the sun went down the teenagers retreated to their rooms. Vale had finally met her room mate, Alison Blaire. Vale found herself smiling as she crawled under her new covers that night.

PS.

CRED TO MY SISTER FOR WRITING A FEW BITS OF THIS CHAPTER.

Love, TophPug