Chapter Nineteen

buggy2222 co-wrote this chapter14:49, August 31, 1983

14:49, August 31, 1983.

"I'm sorry we're late." A elder woman said to her granddaughter.

The woman was stout and held a large decorated hand bag at her side. Her smile was one that would better any dreadful day, it belonged to her once younger-self, yet it was still so beautiful like her graying hair. Her eyes told stories that where full of a sort of spark she never let go of, Antionette could not put her finger on what it was.

Behind her stood a man of her age. He carried himself like a sturdy olive tree next to his wife, tall but leaning to a certain side. Calloused hands grasped her shoulder, his wrinkled smile beamed with pure adoration when he looked down at her. The spark never left his bright young looking eyes either.

Antionette gazed at the couple and Vale from the foot of the stairs. She admired the way they held their granddaughter like it would be their last. Vale, despite not seeing their smiles, showed similar affection. Though it seem held back compared to the couple's loving attention.

Though it was hard to see, and it took time to decode, Antionette spotted a glimpse of something new in their features. A glance of sorts between the couple. Brows arched slightly and lips curled. Antionette read it as uncertainty. Maybe fear.

They started to fuss over the cut on Vale's lip. She claimed it to be irrelevant.

The new comer, Jacob, walked into the foyer with a skip in his step. He was unknowingly being followed by the transparent bloodhound, who howled at his owner for not showering him with scratches. Antionette figured the dog was a friend of times when Jacob lived as a child. Before the harsh reality of life forced him to grow up.

Like many others, the bloodhound hadn't yet understood that their previous friend didn't see or hear them anymore, that was for Antionette to teach them. Usually their reactions were one of confusion or to refuse that it could happen. On rare occasion they would do nothing about it, they would seem to lose their joy and purpose. They became blank and without emotion. Unfortunately people were taught to let go of 'childish' things.

"Vale!" Jacob called to the brunette. A smile across his face.

Before she replied back to the boy the elder woman stepped closer to Vale. "Who's you're friend?" she tried to whisper to her granddaughter. Her words loud enough so even Antionette could hear. She still wore a cheeky grin despite Vale's complaining for her to stop.

The white haired girl's lips pulled into a wide smile as the scene unfolded in front of her. An observer like herself, Fluffy Buns joined her in her lap. He was always one for a show.

Vale fidgeted and placed a sheepish grin on while Jacob shook hands with her grandparents and exchanged introductions. The elder's beamed at the two, something brewing in their minds behind polite conversation.