Chapter Twenty

16:05, September 2, 1983

Though days had past since the institute's visitors had left, Jacob still felt like someone was watching his every move. As if there was some sort of camera capturing his day on video and broadcasting the film to an unknown television channel. He wished that no one would be tuning in to this episode.

Today he found himself under the sun, glaring at the miniature, inked words printed onto the textbook in his hands. None of it made any sense. His eleven-year-old self mocked him for not understanding the detailed descriptions.

"I hate chemistry." he grumbled. Jacob snapped the hardback shut.

"Never liked it either." chuckled a familiar voice.

Jacob was surprised it wasn't the speed demon; Peter, or Vale despite sounding completely different. Oddly, out of all the people he had acquainted, it was Scott; gleaming in his perfect hair glory.

Jacob set the giant book to the side. "I'm guessing you're not here to complain about school?"

"No shit," Scott said. "Hank finds your mutation, 'fascinating'." He made air quotations with his fingers "Him and the Professor agreed to stick you in the Enhanced Program."

Jacob blinked. "I don't follow."

The mutant let out a exasperated sigh and shifted to his weight, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Professor wants to help you control your power, and Hank wants to experiment. Even Raven approved of you joining in training."

Jacob glanced up at the tremendous school he'd been accepted into. Strangely, in the small amount of time at the institute, he felt he could obtain any knowledge about what fueled his so called gift. Now he was welcomed into further studies of the incredibly confusing mutant gene, to be able control his own ability would be extraordinary. Xavier's School always exceeded Jacob's expectations.

He couldn't search for perfect words that would portray his answer.

Under his dark glasses Scott's expressions were difficult to analyze, but his frown was obvious. Jacob vaguely felt he was wasting Scott's time.

"Antionette was accepted in too," Scott told him. The wind blowing gently through his hair. "Charles said she was around here."

"I think I saw her in a field."

"Well jeez, you couldn't be more specific?" Scott's brows narrowed to point he looked as if he sponsored Nike sneakers.

Jacob's mouth stretched into a tight line as he got to hit feet.

"If I remember correctly, she's this way." He stated and motioned Scott to follow.