Chapter Seven

8:39, June 6, 1983

8:39, June 6, 1983.

Vale woke groggily, the movement in the mansion kept her up all night. She sat up slowly and groaned as she stretched. Alison was long gone.

She jumped out of the covers and quickly slipped on an outfit Alison picked out for her.

As she ran down the wooden stairwell in a rush she felt her foot kick something small.

"Fluffy Buns!" A familiar voice yelled in concern. Vale had heard that name before, but she couldn't place it.

"I'm sorry," Vale babbled. "I'm blind."

The speaker scooped up an lifeless object off the landing. What puzzled Vale the most was that "Fluffy Buns" was nothing but air.

"It's okay, just a little bruise wont kill him." The voice mumbled and scurried off.

As Vale walked to the kitchen she could hear the same person scold, "You're being over dramatic, she did not stomp you to death."

Vale let herself chuckle.

After a short breakfast Vale hurried to a class she was late for. Fortunately the class was cut short for reasons unknown. Unfortunately Mr. McCoy assigned them homework.

She eyed the blurry words on the sheet of paper, even with the words so close to her face it was still hard to read. Vale jumped to the first person she knew.

"Jean!" She called from across the hall. Vale ran to the girl, dodging students along the way, only to trip on a table leg. Gravity took hold and she stuck the landing.

Well this is embarrassing. Shit. Vale thought.

"That was entertaining." Jean said, sarcasm thick in her tone.

"I really wanted to know what this carpet felt like." Vale grumbled, still on the floor.

"With your face."

"Precisely."

Vale pushed herself off the carpet and steadied her balance. Her ability clearing up.

"Could you help me with this?" Vale asked and brought out her homework. "I can't read it very well, sense..."--She gestured to her eyes--"well..."

"Yeah," Jean replied, grabbing the paper from Vale. "Is after lunch okay?"

"Sounds good." She agreed.

"I've got to go to class--"

"Didn't you hear?" Vale interjected. "The professor and Mr. McCoy left an hour ago, classes are canceled."

"Where did they go?" Jean wondered out loud.

"Beats me." She raised her shoulders.

Before the duo could talk further Alison took Vale by the arm.

"I need to borrow you for bit." Alison said, as she walked off with Vale in tow.

"I'll talk to you later." Vale shouted to Jean.

Once Alison got to her destination, which was their room, she unhooked her arm from Vale's. The older girl rapidly searched for something in the mess on the floor.

"What did you need me for?" Vale asked as she dumped her homework on her bed.

"In a magazine I saw this sweet braid and I wanna to try it out." She responded. Alison still rummaged through her junk.

"And you want to try it on me?" Vale continued.

"I can't braid my own hair. Ah, their you are." Alison stood from the clutter and dropped on her bed as she flipped the pages of the magazine.

Vale sighed and sat on the floor in front of the older girl. Alison quickly began to divide Vale's hair down the middle and twisted and pulled at the long locks.

The feeling reminded Vale of when she was young and her mother used to fix her hair for school. It felt like such a long time ago.

"That new guy Scott is pretty cute, huh?" Alison stated, her voice laced with curiosity.

"Not knowing what he looks like and scoring his appearance is kind of challenging." Vale mumbled, feeling her face grow warm. "And besides he likes Jean."

"How do you know, he--"

"His heartbeat is a lot faster when he's next to Jean." She pointed out. "I hear a lot. Even when I don't mean too."

Alison finished the braid and dropped off her bed to look at her work. "Not so bad if I say so myself."

"I think it looks great." Vale smiled.

"Ha, ha, you're hilarious." Alison said in a monotone voice. "I'm heading off to lunch, see ya."

Vale's stomachache grumbled at the mention of food. She fiddled with her two long braids as she paced out the door. She recognized the energy bolting down the hallway and stepped back to avoid a collision.

But the person came to a stop and looked under a bookshelf. "Fluffy Buns I swear! Dotty you and Moo-Moo look for him downstairs, Pippa and I got this floor."

It was that girl from this morning, once again she was talking to no one. Vale found her quite peculiar.

She shook her head and moved down the stairs.

"Oh and this is Vale. She's new too, and really good at hide-and-seek," Jubilee's voice talked to an energy she didn't recognize.

Vale felt the stranger's gaze and froze, eyes wide and unbalanced on the slick wood she tumbled down. Gravity really wasn't on her side.

"Not so much walking." She heard Jubilee finish.