Chapter Twenty One

17:14, September 2, 1983

If it was regular for a roach to sneak into one's house in search for something to eat or to escape the cold, then it was expected for Vale Samson to find her way to the Danger Room to watch the X-Men training. If fish couldn't live without water then it was certain that Mystique would eventually grow irritated of Vale and hastily escort her to the door with an iron grip. It was common knowledge among the group.

Oh but this time Raven would have her hands full.

With the world a blur Vale liked to imagine the room in detail as often as she snuck into it. She knew it's size. It's smells. Yet the picture in her head always changed depending on the challenge Mystique and Hank came up with. On occasion it would have guns appearing out the walls, lasers too, but on other days tremendous machinery would emerge out from a hidden doors. Rarely would towers open up from the metal floor and get in the X-Men's way.

Vale still wasn't one hundred percent sure if the flamethrowers Hank installed behind the walls were going to be a hazard.

Once again her mind pieced together an image of the Danger Room with the information her powers gave her. Today the walls stayed flat with no firearms shooting out, and the floor remained a ordinary floor with cushiony mats. But it wasn't the room that made the picture interesting. It was the duel between Antionette and Peter.

Peter was faster than a bullet and had a knack catching people of guard with his speedy advantage. However he rarely seem to recall he had a running pattern that anyone could decode and prevent his next attack.

Antionette apparently could see and converse with imaginary beings that others had created. She also did not have experience in hand-to-hand combat. Vale searched for any offensive or defensive edges but came up with none. It didn't seem like a fair fight.

Today it was Mystique's turn to instruct the young mutants. Her challenges tended to take more time and included multiple injuries, this time was no exception. However with extra members Vale might of thought she'd go easy. Vale was wrong.

Much unlike her opponent Peter, who dashed around her, Antionette stayed still as a statue with her hand gripping onto the small switchblade at her side. Her even breaths set Vale unease as much as Peter had with the baseball bat.

Murmurs echoed behind her, something about unowned shadows that ghosted the cushioned flooring. For a second Vale disregarded their statements and questions, thought it was not relevant; an inside joke perhaps, but that was before Peter inconveniently smacked shoulder first into something that wasn't even there.

Her forehead scrunched and her mouth fell open.

"What the hell?" mumbled Peter.