Chapter Eighteen

7:31, August 28, 1983

He had no food. Nothing to drink. No backpack. Jacob sulked on the side of stone building, soaked from head to toe in water. The sky above him reflected his mood.

People dressed in pale colors and combed hair passed by the teen, working their way into the colossal church. Sheep, is what Jacob had first thought, they all looked like sheep, all nice together in a herd.

He tired to ignore his rumbling stomach and the repulsive puddle he sat in. That, and the inconspicuous glances he was getting from the red haired girl across the street. Ominous vibes flowed off her as she lifted her gloved finger to her temple, round eyes locked on him.

Her long hair was greased back and was dressed in what looked like a black, long sleeved jumpsuit with yellow rims. However, the padded shoulders made it resemble more of armor than casual clothing.

The girl leaned her square chin upward, never breaking contact of Jacob. Her feet shuffled slowly side-to-side.

The boy's jaw tensed. His thoughts ran wild. His muscles screamed for him to flee.

Heart pulsing loudly in his head, the rapid foot steps seemed non existent. That was until a body crashed into his side.

Instinct clouded his control and judgment, ignited by adrenaline. Gut dropping tingles pricked from head to toe in less than a second. His feet lifted off the ground along with the person who slammed into him, and many other objects surrounding them.

The crasher was a brunette with frantic coffee eyes and broad shoulders. She had wide cheekbones with blood floating above her nose from a cut on her upper lip. Her bronze fingers clutched onto Jacobs shoulder, nails digging into his denim jacket. Oddly, she didn't match the pacing girl's clothing, for she was dressed as if it was a normal day.

"It's you." she said, eyes still dashing in all directions.

Unattended cars ascended upward with late church-goers. They're startled outbursts increased Jacob's breathing. His hands shook at his sides. I've been caught.

All the power he held back now ran loose like a wild mustang. Uncontrolled, frightening, and never stopping. Objects and people flew to the sky one by one. Jacob gained altitude by the second.

The red headed girl across street was unaffected by the low gravity. Her brows scrunched together as her hands shot forward. An invisible force tugged the screaming pedestrians to the ginger and placed them genitally down on the pavement. The girl proceeded closer to him, her finger once again on her temple.

A soft yelp sounded above him. A blue fellow with a swooping tail appeared from a puff of smoke, the mutant clung to the round church window seal as he floated higher.

"Vale!" he shouted down to the girl in front of Jacob.

The teenage boy's eyes flickered to the girl, who grasped onto his jacket if her life depended on it, her eyebrows curved and her bloody lip quavered.

"H-hey this gravity thing is supper awesome," she rushed her words, "b-but, um, being t-two stories in the air isn't as fun."

If it was possible for his heart to hammer harder in chest and his lungs to burn more, it did. His thoughts raged on despite the girl's words. More blood curdling screams boomed through out the street and in the church.

Jacob squeezed his eyes shut. It's all my fault. I did this. I let go. He thought. I deserve prison.

Before opening his eyes he felt something thwack the back of his head with a loud THUD! The last thing he registered before falling into blackness was the confused look on the brunette's face.

8:56, August 28, 1983.

Jacob's head throbbed with pain when he awoke. His spine ached and his arm hairs stuck up on end, feeling the chilly flooring under his clothes. He barely made out the disgruntled voices when his head was spinning.

Their words didn't drizzle louder little by little. No, no, their aggressive voices came all at once like a typhoon rolling in on a sunny day. The ringing in his head multiplied.

"If I didn't hit him then we'd be in space by now." barked a voice

The boy opened his eyes to blurry shapes under a gray sky. An air vent whirred next to him. Jacob groaned a curse. The back of his head burned from the recent blow.

"I-I had it under control!" another defended them self, it was definitely female.

"I agree with Peter," said a second female voice, this one was stronger and less shaken, "You weren't making any progress. Finding people is what you're good at, not convincing them."

The mutant teen blinked and rubbed his watery eyes. Like drums his head pounded to a beat he didn't understand. His brain felt so heavy it would roll out of his skull and onto the ground any moment. Dazed by the noises and cloudy vision moving seemed impossible.

Slowly Jacob's senses went dark.

10:34, August 31, 1983.

It felt strange to Jacob. The lights were bright and nothing screamed at him the flee. Everything felt almost welcoming. It was unusual.

Though three days had past since he was accepted into Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters, and the incident at the church in Chicago, Jacob couldn't shake this alien feeling. He couldn't put it in words.

Somehow walking down the never ending halls made him feel like he didn't need to run. No need to be ashamed everyday for committing crimes to survive. He wasn't sleeping on random benches anymore. He didn't want to escape.

The mansion would be meaningless if not for the people who lived in it. The Professor was welcoming and rather interested in his mutation, the telepath suggested further testing. Jacob was rather queasy about the subject. Though the outdoors seemed to ease his aching stomach.

Put aside their busy schedule, the squad that took him here were helpful with adjusting. Corny jokes and all, Peter made things a little less awkward. He speed past delivering Klondike Bars to the students. Jean scolded him for stealing it as he zoomed away in a gust of wind.

Jacob was relieved he didn't need to avoid the law anymore, but there still was a hole inside the kept growing. He wanted to plead for the Professor to punish him for what he had done over the years. Yet he needed to accept what happened happens. That he can't reverse time.

"Race you to the field?" The shorter brunette, Vale, nudged his arm. She grinned up at him.

The girl was oblivious to just how fast he could travel. All those useless years of running had it's perks.

"You're on." Jacob said.

The teen sprinted down the gravel path, a goofy smile plastered across his face. Vale kept a fast pace behind him.

Maybe if he could describe how he felt, it wouldn't be simple. It couldn't be a one worded answer on a history test, or a three sentenced poem.

Or maybe it was so dull and transparent that Jacob couldn't figure it out himself. So straightforward that it was right under his nose.

However the boy had no time to decode what he felt. Because since that day in Nashville, deep down, in the back of his mind, he knew something dark was brewing. And that it was coming soon.