4- I Trust You

Painting by SilentSaunter

I lead Harry to take a left down a different street, and he follows me without question. The second Harry sees it, his grip tightens on my hand. There's a large group of people standing outside the church that lies on this block. They hold signs with phrases that always make me cringe. I've heard those words too many times. I bring my body as close as I can to Harry. Just being this close to him makes me feel a little bit stronger. They yell and chant, and they luckily don't see us still holding hands. I try to pull my hand out of Harry's, but he holds it tight.

"I hate these people. I should be able to love anyone," Harry says, and I've never heard so much anger in his voice.

"There will always be haters, Harry, but we should get going before they see us," I try to reason with him, but I know that I can't. His mind is set on something, and I'm scared to hear what he is set on doing.

"Lou, follow me."

I try to ignore how much I like him saying that nickname as I follow him over to a booth that lies at the beginning of the block. It's full of different pride wear, and Harry doesn't let go of my hand as he buys another flag tattoo that looks the same as his.

"Harry, what are you doing?" I ask, but he doesn't answer. He guides me over to a bench, and tells me to wait. He comes back from the booth holding a wet washcloth.

"Do you trust me?" Harry asks. I stare into his green eyes, and I know that I should say no. I can't find myself wanting to say no. I don't know why or how, but I trust this boy. I would follow him off a cliff he told me it was the right thing to do. He came into my life, and has completely taken over already. This totally isn't normal.

"Yes, I trust you," I confirm with a nod.

"I want to show those people something, and I'm going to need to put this tattoo on your cheek. Are you okay with that?" Harry asks. I nod my head, but I still have a confused expression on my face.

What is he thinking of doing?

Harry sits very close to me as he brings the temporary tattoo up to my cheek. He holds the washcloth against the paper. I can feel his eyes on me, but I look away. I find bursts of confidence around him, but I also feel intimidated by him. He has this large personality that is bursting with color. Next to him, I feel washed out sometimes.

"What are we going to do?" I ask finally as Harry pulls the washcloth and paper away from my cheek. I can feel the tattoo now on my cheek.

Now Harry looks nervous as he looks away from me. "Have you ever kissed a boy?"

"I told you that I'm not gay-"

"Being gay and having kissed a boy can technically be two different things," Harry comments. I know he's right, but I can barely find myself able to tell him the truth. "What is it, Lou? You're scaring me."

"I... I've never kissed a boy."

"Well have you ever kissed a girl? I swear that the two aren't two different. I mean I obviously prefer one over the other-" Harry begins to rant, but I stop him.

"I've never kissed a girl either."

Harry's eyes go wide. "You're kidding me."

"No, I'm not," I grumble as I look away from him.

"But you're-"

"I just haven't found anyone, okay?"

"But, Louis, you're so pretty."