70- The Dagger

The Story So Far

Harry and Louis visited Louis's family and made amends. They got complementary tattoos: the rose and the dagger. They stayed overnight at a motel, wasting the night away.

Harry likes watching black and white movies. I don't know what it is about them. Maybe it's because the set doesn't distract from the actors or storyline. Or maybe you can pick a hair color for the star actress yourself. Or maybe he just likes the classics. He has always been a classic guy.

"Sam kills me," Harry comments as he slips pajama pants on and leaves his shirt off. "His piano playing. 'As Time Goes By'. Could this movie get any better?"

"You could be in it," I say with a smirk. Harry laughs and falls down on the bed beside me. He presses a kiss to my lips and holds it before talking.

"You're funny."

"I'm actually serious. I think that you could be a good actor. Maybe not a star actor, but you could be a key character in some amazing Christopher Nolan movie," I suggest with a shrug.

"Oh, yes. I'll audition, and he will immediately cast me as a selfish soldier in a World War II movie about some dramatic mission involving some water."

"You do look hot when you're soaking wet."

Harry laughs and falls on top of me with a kiss. I get lost in his touch before an important scene comes on in Casablanca.

"What about the engineer? Why can't he marry us on the train?" Rick asks Isla. Isla turns away from Rick and begins to cry. "Well... well not? The captain on a ship can. It doesn't seem fair that... Hey, hey, what's wrong, kid?

"I love you so much, and I hate this war so much," Isla begins to explain to Rick. Her voice has so much passion that this scene remains my favorite scene ever. "Oh, it's a crazy world. Anything could happen. If you shouldn't get away, I mean, if something should keep us apart, wherever they put you and wherever I'll be, I want you to know..."

She can't bear to finish her sentence. She looks up at him, and he kisses her. He pulls away briefly, and she says a line that always moves me and makes me want to cry or sing or dance or something.

"Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time."

And Rick does just that.

"God, they're so beautiful together," Harry says out loud. He rolls off of me and onto his back. I use his chest as a pillow and his arms wrap around me naturally. "Would you ever do that?"

"Kiss you as if it were the last time?" I ask in confusion.

"I guess. I mean when do you know it's the last time?" Harry comments with his eyebrows furrowed together. He leaves
the movie behind as we talk in the dim lighting of a crappy motel room.

"Probably when we're breaking up. One is yelling. One is crying. We decide that one last kiss is necessary to remember the good times," I reply offhandedly as I turn to the movie.

"What?" Harry asks abruptly. I pull my attention away from the movie to look at him.

"What did I say that was wrong? People break up, Harry. You stay with a person in hopes that you can together for the rest of your life, but how often does that happen? Both of our parents got divorced."