First Date

Normally when you were working the cash register time seemed to just drag on but today seemed to be an exception. It felt like only minutes ago you started and now all of a sudden there was only half an hour before your shift ended. Thankfully the shop was quiet in that last half hour, with only one customer. That customer in question was a regular, Mrs Greene, an elderly woman in her late 50s that lived not too far from the shop. You knew her your entire life, both your mom and dad being friendly with her and she came over to the shop at least once a week. You weren't paying much attention to her while she was browsing. In fact you seemed to be oblivious to the fact that she was even there, evidenced by the fact that you were singing loud enough for her to hear you.

"... and suddenly we start to smile. The sun is out for a while..."

"Ah you've a lovely voice (y/n)." Mrs Greene said as she approached the register.

"It sounds much better in my head." you remark as you take her items and scan them.

"Did you have a good time at the dance ?"

"I had a fantastic time."

"That's good to hear. How's your friend Ivan doing ?"

"Doing good. He's been on a mission with his team since the start of the week. I'm not sure if he's back or not. Heck I don't even know where he went."

"I hope he's ok."

"He'll be fine. First years have to be accompanied by a huntsman or huntress."

"And would you like to be out doing what they're doing now?"

"Yeah." you replied rather sullenly. You finish scanning her items and take her money.

"I couldn't imagine doing anything like that. I say I'd be terrified if any of my sons had told me they wanted to become a huntsman. Still fair play to the ones that stopped the Grimm the other morning."

You remember watching the news report on that incident. One thing in particular stood out to you and that was that you had seen Yang along with her team and tea JNPR dealing with the Grimm. That wasn't too long after you came home from your time at Beacon. Yang was on your mind a lot since then, in particular what she had said before you left. Part of you just dismissed it as a bit of playful flirting, but another part wanted to believe that she was genuinely interested in meeting up with you. No one had ever flirted with you before so it was hard to tell which was true.

"Tell you parents I said hello." Mrs Greene says before leaving.

"Will do."

Once again the shop was quiet, save for the low humming noise that was coming from the fridge. Slowly your mind began to drift off again but this was short lived as your dad entered the shop from the house.

"(y/n) you can finish up." he said noticing the lack of customers.

"Are you sure ?"

"The shop is gonna close up in about twenty minutes and hardly anyone comes in at this time so you might as well."

"Ok. I'm gonna go for a walk."

"Dinner will be ready soon."

"Just leave it out for me. I'll heat it up if I have to." you said as your hands dipped into your pockets to confirm that you had both your scroll and key were there. "Talk to you in a bit."

Going for a walk was something you made sure to do on a daily basis, even if it was just for a couple of minutes. It was one of those rare things you enjoyed being on your own for and often tried to find ways to make it go on for longer, whether it was just simply walking slower or going back home a different way. No matter what it would always calm you down.