Healing

"So, you decided if you're coming out with us Friday night?" Sable asked.

"I haven't really thought about it, no." you replied. "You seem to be really insistent on me joining you."

"Cause it'll be fun. Plus, I'd like to know someone close to my own age will be there."

"Even though I've been a grouch pretty much every day since I started here? Alcohol and pissy attitudes don't mix."

"You're not that bad. You're just not a morning person."

"Especially if I'm gonna be hungover." you responded, remembering the last time you consumed alcohol. Of course this led to you thinking about Beacon, and thinking about Beacon inevitably led you to think about 'her' again. Here she was, making things miserable yet again. It was bad enough you had to face the triskels sign again this morning and until it was removed you would probably have to see it every day for the foreseeable future.

It was her birthday yesterday. Every time she crept into your mind you imagined how you could have been spending the day with her. At least you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of trying to find the perfect gift for her. You never were good at picking out gifts for others. Although now that the thought of getting her the perfect gift was on your mind you found yourself imagining something else; her reaction to it.

Even though it was all in your head, the image of it was so clear it felt like she was right there in front of you. Her lilac eyes widening along with her smile. Then she'd jump straight into your arms, wrapping you the biggest, bone crushing hug you could imagine.

You missed her hugs.

You had to look away from Sable, there was no way you would let her, or anyone else around, see you while Yang was on your mind. Your heart clenched, a lump formed in your throat.

"You okay?" Sable inquired.

"I'm..."

You almost choked on your words.

"... I think I'm after inhaling some dust from the rubble." you blurted out, to her confusion.

"(Y/n), we're not near any rubble." Sable responded. "and I've had enough boyfriends to know when a guy doesn't want to talk because something's upsetting them."

Suddenly she had your full attention. Sable was a chatty person, so much that a notable number of interactions involved her just talking away with you occasionally providing some input; you liked it that way. You were never really in the mood to talk, or listen if you were being honest. But she had just said boyfriends, more importantly she had gone through what you were currently going through, some common ground.

"No, forget it."

Who knew what the context of those breakups were? As far as you knew they all could have ended on good terms, Sable could have even been the one to do the breaking up, and from what little you did know of her it was a safe bet that none of those breakups happened like your own.

"I get it if you don't want to talk about what's troubling you." Sable said, brining you out of your thoughts. In her hands she was holding a brownie, which she proceeded to break in half and offer you a piece. "At least take this. Something sweet usually helps me feel better, even if it's just a little bit."

"Oh. Thanks." You said vacantly before accepting her offer. You gave it a small test bite and then immediately stuffed the entire thing into your mouth.

"I'm guessing you like it?"

You nodded your head and swallowed the brownie before you replied to her.