Family Matters

"So; who's the girl?" your dad asked. You managed to react to his question with the usual indifference that was to be expected from you whenever you were asked a personal question, although you were confused as to why he would ask that question. Sure, you had been messaging Yang for the last few minutes while you were working, in fact, you had been doing it a lot recently, you had done nothing to suggest to either of your parents that you were chatting with your girlfriend.

"Don't know what you're on about." you responded dryly while getting up from your slouched position on the counter.

"Just seems like your hiding a girlfriend from us. You're out of the house a lot more often..."

"I'm with Ivan and his team." you reasoned.

"... you're quick to hide your scroll whenever someone walks in, you've never done that until recently..."

"Why are you even paying attention to that?"

"... and you seem to be in a much better mood than usual."

"Doesn't mean I have a girlfriend."

Before your dad could respond you both heard your mom calling him, asking for help looking for something. Both of them were heading out for a small family gathering, something you had no interest in attending. Any relatives that were close to your age were never present unless it was an important gathering, and you would rather be at home with the house to yourself. But now you had another reason not to go.

Your parents would usually be out late at these gatherings, often staying out well past midnight. Meaning that you'd have plenty of time to have Yang over for a few hours without your parents knowing, giving you both the perfect chance for some privacy together. It would also give you the chance to start making things up to her after the previous week. Sure, you both agreed that is would be best to just put it in the past, you found it hard to forgive yourself for upsetting her.

While Yang hadn't called you on your promise to do anything, although you weren't expecting her to yet since it had only been a week, that didn't mean you weren't willing to go out of your way for her even more than you would normally. You were starting with something simple, making her favourite meal for her, it was small, but it was a start. You had something much bigger planned, but it would take some time to get it sorted out. For the time being you would just have to kick things into overdrive.

"(y/n) we're off." your mom informed you.

"Alright. I'll see you later."

"There's plenty of food in the house and you have money if you want to order anything."

"Don't need to tell me that every time you leave me here alone." you remarked.

"Call us if there's an emergency."

"I know. Bye."

You waved goodbye to the two of them nonchalantly, you didn't even bother looking up at them while they exited and drove off. That brief exchange before they both left was essentially protocol whenever they would leave.

You listened to the car drive off before returning to work, if you could call sitting at the counter of an empty shop and doing nothing work. You intended to close down early so you could get things ready for Yang, make a start on the meal, light some candles, pick some music to help set the mood, and possibly stop by a nearby florist to pick up a bouquet for her. All that was stopping you from closing the moment was Mrs Greene. It was around the time when she usually visits for a few essential items she needed for the weekend and you didn't want to inconvenience her by closing the closest shop to her house since she was a friend of the family.