Another Night

Well this chapter turned out to be bigger than expected.

The sound of metal clashing against metal filled your ears, broken occasionally by a few bursts of automatic gunfire. You looked up from your scroll every now and again to let your friend know that you were watching. If you were single then you would have been fully engrossed in watching Ivan spar with Owen. But being at Beacon again only made you think about one person, Yang, who wasn't there at the moment.

Ivan decided to bring you up to Beacon again after his team leader had come up with a girl's night out with Nima, Yang and her team, and Nora and Pyrrha. You had no idea what they would be doing outside of going to movie, though you were told by Ivan that they'd be gone for a good bit. Yang didn't know that you were at Beacon, Ivan having suggested that you not tell her so you could surprise her. You messaged her on your scroll while your friend was training with his teammate. Owen had booked the arena for a training session with Ivan, unaware that you were coming up that same day. You had convinced them to go ahead with the session, claiming it would be interesting to watch.

After Yang hadn't messaged you back after a few minutes you watched the sparring match properly. Ivan was easily dodging heavy swings from Owens weapon, a large spiked mace with a handle that was almost the same height as him and ended with what looked like it could be a shotgun. After spotting an opening, Ivan sent several quick jabs at him with his weapon, a double ended spear. The jabs forced Owen back, giving Ivan the chance to split his weapon into its dual SMG mode. He fired more quick bursts at Owen to push him back further, only for Owen to expertly block them with the head of his mace. Ivan then rushed him, reforming his guns back into spear mode and swiped at Owen's head. This attack was blocked by the handle of Owens weapon. Seeing an opportunity, Ivan performed a sweeping kick across Owens legs, catching him off guard and sending him backwards to the floor. Before Owen could get back up Ivan pointed his spear at his space, signalling that he had won the match.

"Cheap shot." Owen complained.

"You gonna say that in a proper fight." Ivan replied. "Besides you should worry about watching you back more than someone talking a cheap shot. If you don't then it might end badly for you."

"I want a rematch."

Ivan sighed.

"(y/n) do you mind?" he asked.

"Go ahead." you replied.

Ivan retracted his spear and walked away. Instead of getting back up, Owen aimed the end of his mace at the floor Ivan was walking on and fired a blast of ice dust from it, freezing the ground and causing Ivan to slip forwards.

"Cheap shot Owen." he said while both you and Owen erupted in laughter.

Once the training session was over Ivan brought you up to a spot on the roof and left you alone for several minutes. You assumed that this was where you'd be for the rest of the night so you sat down against the wall, facing the view that overlooked most of Beacon, although you didn't look at it for more than a few seconds, your eyes quickly darting to your scroll. Since there was no reply from Yang you assumed that she was at the movie. It would still be another few hours before she returned to Beacon, hours you wanted to go by as fast as they could.

The door opened and Ivan came back carrying his backpack with him, followed by Owen, who also had a backpack, and two others, Jaune and Ren.

"You guys aren't gonna leave a mess here are you? I'm training here with Pyrrha tomorrow."

"Jaune calm down, we'll clean up when we're done." Ivan tried to assure him. It was then that Jaune noticed that you were there.

"Oh I didn't know you were gonna be here (y/n)."