Broken

Barely a second passed from the moment you realised Yang was awake and proceeded to wrap your arms around her; it was instantaneous. Of course, this sudden action left you blind to how Yang reacted to it, after what happened to her this sudden hug might have frightened her. You lingered on the hug for several seconds, you needed it. However, after that initial rush and realizing that Yang wasn't returning the embrace, you let go.

There was complete silence once you faced her. The only other presence was the still unconscious Ruby; no sign of Weiss or the person you swore you just heard Yang talking to, making you question how long you were sleeping for. To you, it felt like just a few minutes.

"Yang..." you lamented. Seeing her despairing face stopped you from talking. You could only imagine what was going through her head after everything that happened to her in such a short time; and who knows what else could have happened? You had already lost two friends, possibly three, but she could have lost more.

You had to say something to her, but it felt impossible, not just because you had no idea what to say. You knew that once you tried to talk to her you would more than likely start choking up and having her see you like that would do no good, not when you had to keep it together for her sake.

Your shaking hand took hold of hers. The shaking stopped once you felt her grip tighten. Tears were now streaming down from her eyes and staining the bed sheet.

There was nothing, no combination of words you could say that would make things any better.

"I'll be right by your side," you stated. For a brief second, while you were looking directly into her eyes, you swore you saw her heart sink. "I'm just glad you're okay."

You regretted that choice of words immediately after you said that. Even without Yang's response.

"Okay?" she responded, a hint of animosity present in her voice. "(Y/n) look at this. What about this is okay?"

"You're alive Yang. Right now, that's what matters."

You risked placing a comforting kiss on her forehead. Her reaction was one of indifference.

"There's just so much after happening. I thought the worst could've happened to you, especially after learning Owen, Deena and... and..."

"And Pyrrha." Yang finished, stopping you from mentioning your best friend and bringing to mind your promise to Nima.

You wrapped Yang in a comforting embrace and let her cry into your chest. Shortly after you followed and for the longest time you remained there, mourning the loss of your friends. Every so often you raised a hand to wipe the tears from your eyes to stop them from falling on her.

The embrace broke once a nurse arrived.

"Her bandages need to be changed." she said.

"Sure." you responded.

She instructed Yang to sit up on the bed before gently unwrapping the covering on her arm.

"Do you need me to help out with it?" you asked.

"No, it's fine." the nurse replied before talking to Yang. "Let me know if I'm hurting you."

Gently the nurse unraveled the bandages around her arm. Once they were all off you were only able to look at where her right arm once was for only a moment before the very sight made it difficult to look at. From what little you saw the bleeding had stopped, save for the odd bit of blood oozing out through some small crevices in the wound.

Both you and Yang remained in uncomfortable silence while the nurse tended to her arm. Every so felt you felt her remaining hand twitch, occasionally squeezing your own hand briefly. Once it was finally over the nurse got up without saying a word.