Two Faces

"Hello, Mr. Malik. Was your day any better than the last?"

"I didn't know this was a daily occurrence."

"In your condition, it is ne-"

"In my apparent 'condition', I should be in solitary confinement. How funny is it that the men with tasers and guns are afraid of me?"

"It's not funny at all."

"It is to me."

"You still haven't answered my question."

". . ."

"Mr. Malik-"

"Listen doc, I don't care as much as you don't care. So please, stop the small talk, and ask the questions that are going to make you go away."

"Why do you kill?"

"Why ask the same questions everyone else does?"

"Because you won't answer."

"What makes you think I'll answer this time?"

"You're a psychopath. They are cold, they are deceptively smart, and at some point they want recognition for the crimes they committed. They have an itch to tell how they got away with it. Just scratch that itch, Mr. Malik. Give in to your desire to tell somebody what you did."

"Don't make me laugh. The only reason I'd ever tell anybody is when I get sick of them asking the same damn question over and over and over. I mean. . . where is the variety? You have the chance to ask the country's most dangerous criminal the questions that others are afraid to ask! Instead, you waste our time by asking why do I kill? Why does anyone kill, doc? Answer that for me."

"Our time, huh? What time do you have that is so valuable, Mr. Malik? You're stuck here until the day you die."

". . ."

"Glaring at me won't change the facts."

". . ."

"Silent again. . . cat got your tongue?"

"Funny. Really. Fine, but you are wasting your time."

"I think it should be my decision that tells me whether I have wasted my time or not, Mr. Malik. Your cockiness will someday prove your downfall if it hasn't already."

"This conversation is making me bored. Any other questions? And please, avoid the ones about my childhood and my criminal record."

"What did you want to be when you were a child?"

"If I said, I don't think you would believe me."

"Go ahead anyway."

"I wanted to be the person I am today - a serial killer. Of course, I never planned on getting caught, but I needed some form of excitement. Killing and watching the stupid police run into dead ends was getting boring. It seems as if jail is even more boring. At least free, I could pass the time with watching the blood spill and stain my clothes like a splash of cherry soda."

". . ."

"Did I say too much? You look awfully pale. Don't worry, I have no intention of watching your blood spill. You're much too pretty for that."

"I am a thirty-one year old man. I am not pretty."

"Age doesn't matter, Doctor. Pretty is pretty no matter the size, the shape, the gender. With you as a psychiatrist, I would have thought you'd be more open-minded."

"That is not the problem we should be discussing. Y-"

"Bye, Doctor Harry Styles. I am done for today."