Twenty-nine Tragedies

"Ouch, what happened?"

". . ."

"It's dark out already. Shit, how long have I been out?"

". . ."

"Zayn is going to be furious- ow, ow, ow. Fuck, that ankle does not look right."

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

". . . what was that? Zayn?"

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

"Zayn!"

". . ."

"Anyone? Help!"

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

"Found you. . ."

"Zayn? Thank God!"

"Darling, what happened?"

"I slipped and tumbled down that slope. When I woke up, it was dark out, and I didn't know which way to crawl, so I just stayed put. Hey, wait- put me down!"

"No, you're hurt."

"I know, but you don't have to carry me either. I can hop."

"Really? Like a little bunny all the way home? As much as I'd like to see that, I'd rather just have you in my arms."

"Ugh."

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

"You can put me down now."

"Just because we're inside doesn't mean you can magically walk. . . Now, let me see it. . . It's pretty swollen; I'm not sure if it's broken or just sprained."

"Either way, it hurts like hell."

"I'll go get an ice pack."

"What's this?"

"Hmm, oh that? I got you a gift. I passed by it on my way to Louis' and thought of you."

". . . Wow. . ."

"I take it you like it then?"

"Yeah, but wh- ow, that's too cold!"

"I'll grab a towel. . . and I got Louis to buy it because I wanted you to trust me."

"What if I just tased you and escaped?"

"On that ankle? You must be joking."

"I'm not."

"Well, if I want you to trust me, then I need to trust you. Besides, I'll find you and take you again. It's as simple as that."

"What if I go to the police?"

"Tch, are you revealing your master plan?"

"Perhaps. "

"Then, if you went into the witness program and blabbed my whereabouts. . . I'd have to lay low and go into hiding. Seek someone out I don't want to see again and get you back. You can't escape me."

"So romantic. . ."

"Yes, I'm a true Romeo. Can't live without you, and I'd kill anybody who stands in my way."

"Ugh."

"I'll call a friend who's a doctor to come in the morning."

"Don't be so hasty. It's not that bad. . ."

"Darling, you also hit your head and can't walk. Fuck, is that blood in your hair?"

"Quit fussing over me; you're giving me a bigger headache. Besides, how many 'friends' do you have?"

"Enough to get everything I need without ever having to show my face to society."

"I don't even get how you sneak around now."

"Practice, darling. The art of blending into the background and avoiding over-populated areas. 'Sides, my hair's grown out. Should I dye it brown?"

"Why bother asking me? You've got practice."

"Ha ha, I suppose you're right. However, the most important factor is that your face is the one people will recognize: the victim. I'm pushed to the back of the mind because people don't want to see the face of a murderer."

"Speaking of which, did you. . ."

". . . yes."

"Oh."