Thirty-nine Impurities

"I never imagined that you would go so far to please someone else."

"What are you talking about now, Louis?"

"I mean, usually you're pretty apathetic or just generally disinterested in other people's affairs. It's one thing to do everything you can to keep him, but you want Harry to be happy. I can tell you're thinkin' about- or at least wishin', to some degree, of havin' a happy ending."

"I know that a happy ending is not possible. . . but I can make as many happy moments as I can in the meantime. I thought about how he acted when I took him on the picnic. . . I want to see more of that side of him."

"The two of you sound truly disgusting together."

"Haha, normally I would find myself agreeing with you. The thought my desires have grown past just seeking to possess him, to create a sick sort of co-dependence between us is confusing . . . I feel things that seemed to have escaped me all my life."

"Like what?"

"Empathy, concern. . . Something genuine and undefinable."

". . . huh."

"Tch, I wouldn't exactly expect you to understand. Your brain barely has time to think with all the mental disorders running around it."

"Oh, please. That's the kettle callin' the pot black. Besides, I understand it perfectly. You have gone soft."

". . ."

"Ever since you started whinin' and bitchin' about being 'uninspired' and that stupid idea of getting arre-"

"Unlike you, you walking basket-case, I never planned a long life, just a fulfilling one. I got bored of the same mundane repetition of my life - this cyclical nature that everybody else, including you, seemed to perform like breathing air. Everyday was the fucking same. If there was blood, I'd paint. If Liam liked it, he took it. If he didn't, it burned. If there wasn't blood, I killed. Damn it if there was any evidence left behind! It disappears without a trace. And can you imagine if I didn't kill, Louis?"

 ". . ."

"Huh? Why so silent now?"

". . ."

"Right, you can't talk if I squeeze your windpipe like that. Well, you'd probably just say something annoying anyway. . . now, where was I? Ah, yes, and if I didn't kill, there'd be blood delivered to me within the hour. There wasn't even a need for me to go outside of my house anymore. My days were filled with blood but no satisfaction. What is there to be 'inspired' or 'happy' about? I didn't have a choice but to give myself up. Strangely, it was one of the best things that I have ever done for myself. I found what I was looking for, Louis. I don't expect you to understand that."

". . ."

"If he dies, I follow suit. And if I die, I'll make sure he dies with me. You, however, don't forget that your life still means little to me."

". . ."

"When you're done coughing your lungs out, finish hanging those lights in the tree."

". . ."

". . ."

"So if you haven't gone soft, does that mean you'll start killing again soon? What about that guy I'm torturing for you?"

"You said you only killed two people using my insignia the past couple weeks right?"

"Yeah. . .?"

"And when the most recent body was found, it was only a day or two old. You were with me the night it happened. That means there is a real copycat."

"No shit. What are we going to do then?"

"I want you to leave them a message."