Six Knives

"How come it has been a week since I've seen you, Harry?"

"You know why?"

"Tell me anyway."

"The only way you see me is if you are playing nice with the others."

"You sound like a mom."

"Then quite acting like a petulant child."

"Will you spank me if I don't?"

"Zayn-"

"Just ask me the questions on your notepad."

"How do you kn-"

"I know a lot of things, Harry. More than what you would be comfortable with."

"Why those particular people?"

"They were convenient."

"Why torture them?"

"Not only do I like to see blood, but I like to hear them scream, too. I'd like to hear you scream as well, Harry. Just by a different means."

"Stop flirting with me, Zayn. I thought I made it clear I do not reciprocate whatever attraction you have for me. Why do you think you have to kill to receive your 'red ink'? What's so different than getting the exact same shade of red from the store?"

"Because what you buy at the store isn't real. It isn't as warm nor is it as vibrant as the real thing."

"But why do you kill? Couldn't you find some other way? Like animals or-"

"Humans are animals, just bigger and decidedly more intelligent. Human blood, there's no comparison."

"That still doesn't answer why you have to kill."

"And you won't get one. Don't think I don't know what you're trying to do. I told you I wouldn't answer that question."

"But you'll answer the other questions?"

"Depends on what it is."

"Why do you refuse to give an answer?"

"It's fun to watch people squirm in anticipation, eyes glossy in curiosity only to deflate when I don't give an answer. The only satisfaction I want to give is to my obsessions, not desperate media personalities or the public."

"Then why give me answers?"

"You are one of my obsessions, Harry."

". . ."

"You're getting pale again. Do I scare you?"

"N-no, you just never cease to make me speechless."

"Hmm. I think we're done today."