"Dan?" I asked. He was laying calmly on his bed, eyes closed and arms crossed behind his head, supporting comfort. He hummed in response.
Don't think, just go.

"I want-" I stopped myself. That sounds way too needy. "Do you have Y/N's phone number?"

Dan chuckled loudly, a snort escaping his throat, too. "You totally could have just asked her."

I stared down at the floor boards, embarrassed I even asked him. It's been a week and we still haven't gotten to know each other very well. About to ask him to forget about the situation, he blurts out ten digits. I look up at him in confusion.

He opened one eye at me, "well, get out something to write it down!"

I quickly stumble out my phone and begin to press buttons quickly. "Ready."

He repeats the digits and I press them in carefully. I chuckle at my phone screen and thank him quietly. He closed his eyes again, humming to himself.

"So, you just know her number by heart?" I wondered aloud. He shook his head.

"I know all of my friends' numbers. Considering I don't have many."

"Yeah— same... I guess. But, I mean, I don't memorize my friends' numbers."

He shrugs, his biceps flexed unwillingly as he did so. He complained about his weak body type but never realized how naturally strong he was, and I wanted to tell him that. I decided against it... i thanked him for the number instead.

I wrote in her name on the contact list and surrounded it in emojis. They were the golden peace sign ones that she always does with her hand.

Do I message her now? Is this really soon? What about the saying better late than ever?

"Just fucking message her, goddamnit," Dan shouted from across the room. "Jesus, you're thoughts are so fucking loud and I can hear your worry all the way back here!" I laughed at that.

"All right, I'm doing it."

"Thank you."

hey, it's Phil! Dan's roommate. I, uh,—

I stopped typing.
Why'd I write uh?
Phil, don't write your thoughts, just write a hello! It's an introduction.

just so you know who I am and not some creep who found your number.

I added a star emoji after and sent it.

She might have class right now. I have my classes early, so it being 3:45 in the afternoon, I had time to relax, like Dan.

Maybe she won't talk to me after getting her phone number. Damn, she'll wonder how I got her phone number. 'Oh yeah I asked Dan for it because I'm a creep who wants to kiss you, thank you very much.'

I've sent the text already, it's not like I can reverse anything.

I became light headed and shaky as my phone vibrated in my lap. I picked it up and read the notification.

Dan
stop worrying she'll text back.

I looked up at him, seeing his phone rested on his chest with his eyes closed and in his relaxed position. "Dan..."

"Hm? I'm sorry, did you say something?"
I rolled my eyes at his response, texting him back.

get out of my business