"Only people who are good looking get to go on second dates," Dan assured me. "Only people who can wooh a girl go on second dates."

I sat cross-legged on my bed, grabbing hold of my toes and rocking myself. I was thinking—over thinking—about this friendship her and I have. "Have you been on a second date?" He scoffed at me as he sprawled out papers onto his bed.

"Of course. Second date is when you two get it on." He pressed his lips together and humped the air. I rolled my eyes in disgust.

"Those aren't my intentions."

"And here I am, wondering why you're considered normal." I bow my head at my legs and rock back and forth some more. She said she wouldn't mind a second date. So that was a date. A first date. Dan smacks his lips together, "I was only kidding."

"No, I know. It's just..." I sigh, not being able to get the words to describe how I feel about her and what I want to do to make her happy. With me. "I like her." No. "A lot. And I want to make her feel..." Like she's the only girl for me? Like she doesn't have to worry about anybody else? Like she's the only one I want and need? Like she doesn't have to worry about anything and I can be there to support her? "Special."

I heard him sigh as he began to organize his papers into neat piles. "Young love."

"You sound like my dad."

"Hey, you two seem to really like each other," he turns around and sits down on the floor, leaning on his bed. "Go on the date. Ask her out."

"What do we do?"

He shrugs, a grin coming up on his face, "I don't know, Phil, go out for drinks! Wine tasting?"

"Broke- both of us. We don't have the type of money for that."

Dan's eyes lit up and he leaned over on one side of himself to get something from his rear pocket. He held up a small paper folded up neatly, "she gave this to me and told me to give it to you."

I leaned toward him to grab the paper. Unfolding it, I found that the paper was thick, and that it wasn't paper. It was the ten-pound note I gave her on the date. In pencil, she wrote something on it. "I told you I didn't need it. ↺" with a little arrow on the side of her statement, I turned the note over. "note. note. get it?" I rolled my eyes.

"What? Tell me what it says?"

"It's just a note."

"I know that, ya dip shit, what made you roll your eyes?"

I scoffed, "no! It's a note! Like, she wrote something. And on the back was a joke about the note being a note." He chuckled, standing up and going back to his work. "So? What do I do?"

"Message her." Dan shrugged.

"All I do is message her!"

"Have you texted her after fro-yo yet?" He turned around and raised and eyebrow at me. I shook my head. "Well, message her, message man!"

I took out my phone from my back pocket, "I'm not a message man," I mumbled.

"Shut up and type before I do it for you."

I open up the iMessage from my iPhone and it opened to it already being in our chat. I began to type.

hey bby

Our humor is special.
She replied within seconds.

wha'd up boy