"Most likely," Dan started as we walked into the Starbucks he referred to a while ago. "I'll be able to catch more guys this way."

"Like, the royal guys—as in everyone and anyone?—or just men?" I asked for clarification, holding in laughter.

"Anything, really," he shrugged. "It really depends." Then he laughed, throwing his head back. "No, no it doesn't. It doesn't depend on anything except looks- at first." He holds his index finger at me strongly. I roll my eyes at him because of the way he talks about meeting all these different people amazes me in some way. Is he chasing after a certain person like I am? Or is he just waiting for that person to chase them. In a way they're not waiting at all. Waiting for fate, if you will.

I stood beside him as he spoke to the barista, who brought out a barman, who then handed him a few sheets of papers. I watched him thank the workers and we headed out to the record shop just across the way.

"Starbucks is the best way too meet new people, is it not?" Dan asked. "Plus. I get paid. And discounts."

"That'll work for when we're broke again. We keep spending money on donuts from shops and frappés from Starbucks."

"Well, now, we can spend our money on donuts and frappés in discounts." Dan shrugged as we walked into this store, that I was unfamiliar of.

Records upon records from familiar and famous artists hung on the wall featuring a signature from the one and only. Isles stacked on isles of CDs put in an alphabetical order of singers and artists. I noticed one section that was color coordinated with empty CDs for others to fill. The smell of a new car surprised me, as I haven't noticed the cardboard-scented ornaments displayed by the entrance.

I was completely taken away by all the familiar—yet unfamiliar—atmosphere the whole shop threw off; I knew it would be a great choice to spend my time.

Papers were handed to me after interviewing the people behind the counter for applications. I became suddenly excited and I couldn't stop bouncing on the balls of my feet.

"Calm down, you'll become humpty dumpty by the time we get back to the dorms," Dan complained, rolling his eyes. I noticed a smile as we walked the pavement. Honest to god, I couldn't wait to sit down and text the girl I've been thinking about and tell her I was trying for a job at the record shop. I didn't know it well, and that was the first time I've stepped into that store, but it reminded me of her and our music conversations.

hey there gorgeous

the confidence is real

She replied back as quickly as I typed it.

guess what

you got a dog

I laughed.

close

a job

how'd you know?

wow really? total guess

are you stalking me?

damnit. blown my cover. gotta blast

I'm trying for the mysterious record shop by Starbucks?

yeah ik that place

I've never noticed it before

maybe someday we can both go there and hang out

sorry, work comes first

respectful.

I'm only joking. Of course. Maybe instead of Starbucks we can grab ice cream or fro yo as I am in debt

same

date?

Date. Date. Date. Date. Date. Date. Date. Date.

of course. bring comfortable shoes

why?

your feet shall be cozy as we sit and eat cold treats

thanks phil you're the love of my life

Honest to god, that hurt my chest. I could practically feel my stomach twist and implode with all the butterflies that spawned before. It didn't hurt because we aren't dating and it didn't hurt because I actually love her.

It hurt because it may not be true like I would say it back.

No. It hurt because it's not true like I would say it back.

No. It's every reason I mentioned. But I still stick with her and her plans in hopes that she'll love me like I do to her and one day I'll be able to tell her that.

Come on, Phil, it's been four months. Get it together.