Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Sorry

• • •

January 2014

ZAYN'S POV

During the drive to school the next day, yesterday's events were replaying in my mind like a bad movie. So far, no other ghost had appeared in need of my ghost counseling services except for Ned who was now my guide, and I was thankful for that. Though I have a feeling this relief of mine will be short-lived. But I have to face this sooner or later, it's a part of life now, no matter how I much I refuse to accept it.

Pulling into the parking lot and safely locking my Beetle, I walked-- more like srpinted-- to my homeroom class which I was late for, and breathlessly jumped into my usual seat beside Liam, rubbing my hands together for warmth. "Hey," I greeted the brunette.

"Uh, hi," he replied, then looked to the side, avoiding my gaze, fiddling with his hands. I narrowed my eyes.

Throughout the whole period, Liam didn't say a word, just looked extremely nervous and fidgety. Was it still about what he had to tell me? Looks like it's going to be something major. Liam never acts this way, and never hides something from me.

As soon as the bell rung, Liam shot out of his seat and briskly exited the class before everyone else. Grabbing my backpack, I ran after him, shoving past the students to catch up with Liam.

"Liam, what the hell?! Wait up!" I called out to him as I adjusted the slipping strap of my backpack, and he thankfully stopped.

"What the hell, mate? Why are you giving me the cold shoulder?" I demanded as I jogged up to him.

Liam shook his head, pulling me to side, behind the lockers. "Uh, look Zayn. Please don't be mad at me?" he pleaded, unintentionally putting on the puppy dog eyes.

I frowned. "Okay. Liam, now you're scaring me."

Liam rapped his knuckle on the wall distractedly, thinking hard. He then looked up and finally met my eyes. biting on his lower lip in agitation. "I'm moving away," he declared.

Huh? "What?"

"I'm moving away," Liam repeated. What the hell?

"What the fuck, Liam? Moving away where? When?" I gaped at by best friend, who was looking everywhere except at me.

"M-mum is leaving for Wolverhampton as the divorce is now finalized, and I'm leaving with her, a few days later," he shrugged guiltily, rubbing the nape of his neck.

"Why? You're eighteen, you can stay-" I protested weakly, but I know Liam had no choice but to move away with his Mum. He couldn't stand to live with his father. But what was saddening me the most was how my own best friend had kept me in the dark about such big news.

"No, mate, I can't. I already got accepted at a college there," Liam spoke softly, meeting my eyes which must be filled with disbelief and sadness, his gaze now back on his shoes.

I leaned against the wall, processing Liam's words. He was moving away. My childhood best friend was moving away to another city that is a three fucking hour drive away. I won't be able to just jog the three blocks to Liam's house in the middle of the night to share a funny scene in a comic book with him anymore, we won't be able to meet up at school and play basketball after every day.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" I questioned, my voice cracking. Liam was the only one who I told each and everything to, and who told me his secrets as well. Sure, I still had Louis and Harry, but what I had with Liam, I didn't share that bond with either Lou or Harry.